A few questions actually.... maybe TMI

First of all if you are going to be rude and poke fun just go away and don't even respond. I'm not in the mood for jerks. Ok now let me give the whole story before the questions.

I am currently Breastfeeding my almost 8 month old. I have large breasts (36E) and constantly sweat between them. Well I think I've developed a yeast infection in between them. It smells funny and I've scratched it raw almost. So now to my questions:

Can you get a yeast infection there?
How do I get rid of it?
How do I get rid of the smell?
What can I do to prevent future ones?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 11:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Wash between them a few times a day and keep the area dry. If your sweating try to put a towel or rag between them to keep the area dry. You can put vagisil there or any anti-bacterial medication. You can get a yeast infection just about anywhere, I currently have one in my ear of all places and I am anal about cleaning them. So keep it dry and clean, try using a medicated powder or the summers eve for women to keep the area a little more dry and use alcohol pads to help with the oder and killing the bacteria.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have the same problem. You can do the antiyeast cream. You can do powders. You can go to the doc and get antiyeast meds. I recommend all three. And, buy new bras and wash them daily in hot soapy water and hang dry them. I have not found a way to prevent them. To get rid of the smell you have to get rid of the infeciton. Oh, and if you don't throw away your old bras you will keep getting them.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• DO NOT use ALCOHOL on your breasts. It kills the bacteria, not yeast! Yeasts will thrive on that environment. IF this has worked for you you had a BACTERIAL infection NOT a yeast infection. IF the mentioned remedies dont work then go to the doctor as it could be a BACTERIAL infection. (I had that once too.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It IS possible to get a yeast infection on your skin, especially since that's an area that tends to stay moist and dark and about 98 degrees.

You get rid of it by applying either some homeopathic remedies and airing it out as much as possible or by applying prescription antifungal ointments. You could probably use lotramin. Air it out as much as you can, drying it out will kill the fungus faster. Crush garlic and apply the juices. Garlic is a wonderful antifungal. Sleep without a bra, find a bra that separates (I know it's hard! I'm large breasted too!)

You get rid of the smell by getting rid of the infection. Sorry, that's the only solution I know :(

To prevent future infections, make sure the area stays as dry as possible. Don't take antibiotics unless you HAVE to. Start taking a good probiotic, you can get it at your local health food store. You could also eliminate yeast from your diet, but that's hard.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• CONT...

I will also add that since you suspect a yeast infection that close to your nipples, be on the lookout for thrush in your baby and on your nipples too. Baby can recieve a probiotic as well, and that will help prevent. Just break open the caplet and pour a little bit into baby's mouth.

Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Oh, tea tree oil and lavendar essential oils are antifungal as well aren't they?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• to keep them dry after you get out of the bath tub get them really dry with a towel and apply lots of baby powder. trust me it works. and if you feel that the baby powder is wearing off, just add some more.
    newmom10408

Answer by newmom10408 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I forgot to ask how do I know for sure it IS a yeast infection?
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 12:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You could have what is called Intertrigo. That is an inflammation of the tissue caused by folds, excessive sweating, friction, etc. It can be caused by yeast or fungus. Here's a link with some pictures. They are kind of gross, but see if that is sort of what you have:

http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/intertrigo.htm

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i have large breasts as well, 38 F and i sometimes get itchy between them. butnever had a yeast infection. it is possible to get one there though. go see your doctor.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009