Can you use food stamp card in another state?

My father is dying and they aren't expecting him to live through the week so we're making an emergency trip down to visit him.(he's 6 hous away). We're on foodstamps and don't want to use actual cash on food for the trip. If we can't use the card we'll just pack a cooler full of food to hold us over until we come home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yes as long as the store excepts ebt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I know you can only use wic where you live and I believe food stamps are the same way. You have to use it in the state in which you apply as all states have different income guidelines. Call the office and ask them.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No you have to use the card in the state it was issued in. I know this because I tried to use mine out of state. I am sorry to hear about your father though and good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No u can use the card anywhere, i get food stamps in sc and shop in nc... and i have used them in nj when i visit my dad... u can use them anywhere
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes, you can use the card in any state... I googled it :)

So sorry about your dad. My prayers are with you!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am not sure. But sorry to hear about your dad, my prayers are with you and your family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• when the card had the flag on it you could ask the pople at the food stamp office. hope you dad gets better soon.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I tried to use it in other states and it didn't work
    Anonymous

• TAKEN DIRECTLY OFF THE SNAP/FNS Government website!
    " YES you can use them nationwde at any store that accepts EBT/SNAP cards, for further reading see the website, it doesn't say anything about a period of time or that they are in state restricted. Taken directly off the site ou can use your EBT card in all states, as well as the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam, according to the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) website. The program is now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the use of debit cards gives users flexibility, including the ability to use SNAP benefits out-of-state."

grandsupreme

Answer by grandsupreme at 4:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2012