au pair?

Did I spell it right? The nanny from different country. Is anyone using it? What's the standard practice and expectations? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 12:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was a nanny while in college, and was friendly with several area au pairs. If you use one, I strongly encourage use of a nanny cam, especially if children are of an age where they cannot self report. You will want to ask the agency questions as to screening, background, training, and ask for references. Typically you are required to provide room and board in your home for an au pair. You also pay a weekly stipend, which is generally below $200 and for the purpose of spending money. The hours, time off, and other arrangements are generally involved in a contract and any disagreements on your side or the au pairs go through the agency. If the au pair isn't a good match, they find you another.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 9:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009