Think that constantly nagging your daughter about ...

her food portions could cause an eating disorder? Omg..i know this lady who always makes it loud and clear as to how much her daughter can eat. She hasnt any weight problems either. Im like jeeze let the girl eat as much as she needs to fill her belly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes it can.

My dad always criticized my sister for being pudgy and she would just eat more to spite him. Now she is pushing 300 lbs and not happy in her life.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I suppose it could go either way. The girl could just continue to eat or stop eating completely. I don't think it's healthy to constantly nag, but she should talk to a doctor if she's that concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We discuss portion control all the time. My hubby had gastric bypass, his family has obesity issues and on my side we have diabetes. We discuss it for a health reason. So, if I go by what you are saying, I am damned if I discuss it with her and we portion control. However, I know for SURE that she is damned if we don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It really depends on the situation. If the girl is regularly eating huge portions and is gaining too fast then it's fine to discuss it but you still have to step carefully. If she's really concerned it might be better to get external help, ask the dr for a referral to a nutritionist.

Nagging can do a lot of damage. My mother nagged me about my weight and eating habits so constantly as a child that I was left clueless as to what normal behavior was. I was a healthy weight teen but always on a diet which left me believing that I just couldn't lose weight. Well duh, I didn't need to! She also has no clue about nutrition so she'll sit and eat a tiny portion of deep fried food while I tucked in to a nice big plate of veggies and whole grains for less calories but in her mind more food is automatically going to make you fat.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009