Abandoned Kittens

A cat had kittens in my neighbors storage area. The mom has taken one kitten and left. She hasn't been back since 3pm. It's 9:15 now. I brought the remaining three kittens in and feed them kitten formula about 20 minutes ago, and then put them back out. They're in a live trap with a can of tuna to try to induce the mother to go in. The humane society will take them if the mother is there, but will just put the kittens down without mom. I'm planning to bring them in for the night in about two hours (11:30 pm) because I don't want them to get too cold. SO my question is, how am I doing here? Should I put them back out during the day to see if mom will come back? Is there no real hope for mom since she took one and left the rest? I've seen her since, across the street behind the playground, I think she's living in the woods out there. How often do I feed them? I've read 2 hours and I've read 3-4. They are less than a week old.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pets

• I wonder if your handling the kittens will make it worse because the mother can smell your scent.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well the girl who found them had handled them quite a bit before I found out about them. I only heard about them about 2 hours ago.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't know. I wish I had a good answer for you, because you always give me good answers. My first thought was I wonder if she's not letting the mother off the hook and doing the mothering for her, but you said she picked one baby and left. I don't know. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Its too late to give them back to the mother. No animal, except humans, will take its young back after another animal has left its scent on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• More then likely the mother would have came back by now but even if she does come back the chances of her taking them wouldn't be so likely. Most cats won't even touch there kittens if a human has handled them, at least not wild cats or cats that don't know the person touching her kittens. If I were you I would just feed them formula and take care of them. It's not fair for the kittens to have to die. Or at least find someone who will take on the challenge. Good luck!
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 12:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Feed them tonight and call a local vet in the morning for advice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Handling the kittens wont harm them... it simply gets them used to your scent and being handled by humans. And while cats can smell, their scence of smell isnt that great. I think feeding them formula every 2 hours (they wont overeat at that age) should be good for them.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2009