Honestly

Anon if you wish, but be honest. Do you ever leave your kids (I'm talking little, like baby/toddler) alone in the car, running or not? I never ever ever do, but in the past week I have seen it done 4 times. And it kinda makes me angry, because if you want to leave your kid alone in the car (ya dummy lol) at least take the keys out of the ignition. Just running in to pay for gas, I would be like eh, not smart but whatev, but these kids are alone in the car while the parents are chatting it up, totally ignoring the car (from what I see anyway)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• never ever ever if i dont want to take him in with me some place i leave him at home with a baby sitter
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No way, you hear to many stories these days of missing kids. It doesnt take but a second. and you arent guarenteed to be in and out of the store. It's not worth the risk. Id rather spend the minute or so taking them out of their carseats, than a lifetime of wondering what if....
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have, but it's been in and out to pay for gas and my oldest would beat the crap outta anybody who got in the car who wan't me or his immediate family. He has a bit of a stranger anxiety thing. But I never leave them in the vehicle alone. If I have to run to the store for something I either leave them home with daddy, or we all go and he sets in the car with them.
    -Ashley
    P.S. If it's above like 70 degrees or muggy we all go in.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I do it a lot. I live in a super small town though. I never leave it running though and I never take my eyes off him. And the Gas station I go to, there is no inside, you just walk up to this cubicle thing. I always park by the cubicle so I'm no more than 10ish feet away. Where I live in AR there is a law that says if your more than 30ft away then its considered abandonment.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If I have to run in and pay for gas or something, I'll leave him in there. But I always take my keys and lock the doors.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't have a car so I couldn't even if I wanted to! Not that I would anyway.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Never, never, never. I would never even leave my dog in the car like so many people do on a hot day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I can take my keys out of my car and it still be running and locked, so only when I was in my home town where everyone knows everyone and I can see her while I am in the gas station paying for gas did I do it once, but I wont do it here in tacoma WA
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no. I will only get gas at Sheetz, because I can use cash at the pump, never having to leave the car! I am paranoid about it. If I don't want to bring the kids with me, I leave them home with Dad.
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 8:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's extremely rare that I have had to leave my kids in the car when I get out of it - but if I ever do, I turn the van off, take the keys out. They are all small enough that they are all strapped into carseats, also. I would never do it if I could not see them the entire time I was out. For example, yesterday I had to drop a book off at the library. I parked right next to the outside book drop and it was literally just me running to the other side of the van. However, it would have been more dangerous for me to unload all three kids, trekked across the parking lot and taken them inside to drop the book off.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009