What if my toddler has cavities?

My son is three. He is a handful, I honestly do not believe we would last 10 minutes in a dentists office. Most dentists don't even see children who become upset at the sight of a dentists chair. He also has cavities, we brush our teeth and he only drink sugarfree beverages or water. My family tells me its bad genetics.

Jess_TheMom13

Asked by Jess_TheMom13 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i believe that its genetics too. and take him to a childrens hospital dentistry since his a toddler. thats what a family dentistry suggested to me since my daughter was 2 and needed feelings. make sure you get a good dentist and not one that wants to pull teeth out for $$$$$, instead of putting some feelings on. and if you cant see them, then i think hell be ok.
    monica_sky1225

Answer by monica_sky1225 at 2:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It could be... my son is 3. Last November he had 6 top front teeth pulled due to cavaties, and fillings in the rest, and 3 silver caps. He wasnt crazy about the camera in his face. But they were able to see enough that he needed work done. He was sent to Childrens and they also couldnt get the right xrays but knew he needed surgery so they scheduled it and went from there. My son constantly cried in pain with his teeth, he's never been better.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Take your son to the dentist! All children are scared of the dentist. Most children do freak out at the site of a dentist's chair. Sometimes you have to piss your kid off in order to do what's best for them. Trust me, he'll thank you later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ok...I have 4 kids ages 22 to 4 yrs..they all have bad teeth due to poor enamel growth. It is genetic.
    My son just had 3 cavities filled last month and was seen by a pediatric dentist who called the fillings "silver stars" and yes my son screamed and cryed but he made it through just fine.
    If you don't get the cavities filled then you are looking at a root canal or 2.
    See a pediatric dentist asap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Kids should go to the dentists every 6 months starting when they get their first tooth. With each of my 3 children I took them as soon as they got their first tooth. With my oldest I took her on a regular basis like I was supposed to. it was very traumatic for her, because since she was so small they put her in this little blanket type thing that kept her still and she couldn't move her arms. My boys have already had their first checkup, so I will not take them again until they are about 4, unless there is a problem. If your son has cavities he needs to go. They will most likely give him something to drink that will relax him. He will be in a lot more pain if he keeps his cavities in his mouth. Good Luck!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 9:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009