• In the Spotlight:

Just a little info my doctor told me today.....

I've seen some questions asking "is it safe to take antidepressants while pregnant" well i went to the doctor today for my first prenatal check-up and have been on antidepressants for about 6 months now. my doctor told me that just about all anti-depressants are a bad idea to take during pregnancy because of the birth defects they can cause and she told me to take an omega-3 supplements, she said it is a natural antidepressant. I can't stand fish oil pills of any kind so i bought Flaxseed oil gel capsules and they have no taste to them. I just wanted to let other moms in the same position to know that and was also wondering if anyone else had heard of this?

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 12:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it's always better to try natural supplements. Omega-3's are great, as would be a good vitamin b complex. I am sure there are some antidepressants that are safe, but a doctor who would opt for natural remedies is definitely a good doctor. If you feel that natural isn't working, you can always ask for alternatives! I don't take anything while pregnant, well generally anyway, so I would be glad to be given an alternative!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my dr gave them to me when i was 7 or 8 months preggo..becuase i was in my 3rd trimester he wasnt concerned at all..i was past the 1st and crucial trimester.. his words were 'you can't make a birth defect' ..meaning if my child already had one, there was nothing i could do anyway and my prozac i take wasnt going to create anymore.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm glad I didn't have your doctor, because I know for a fact that you can "make" birth defects. I would have told the doctor off and then walked out. Nobody screws with my babies, born or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i was on anitd"s and my dr put my on them no ?'s asked at like 5 mo along. My baby is perfectly healthy!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009