Leashes for children?

How do you feel about these?

(I thought about this because I just saw on the news about two seperate, unrelated cases of children under 1yrs old being hurt and killed- I was thinking about a leash just so no one can take her) But I want to know how you feel about the children you see on leashes in public

HunnysFarAway

Asked by HunnysFarAway at 1:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• The initial problem is the name of it "leash". of course it will cause controversy if you call it a leash. Consider it a child restraint, instead of a leash. YOu put a leash around a dogs neck, you put a restraint on your childs hand, or around them. There is a big difference. If you look at it as a "leash" instead of a safety device then you will never open your mind to udnerstand it. I think the "child restraint strap" is very useful. I rode the Greyhound from Louisiana with my 2 year old and my infant son twice, the first time i rode without the "strap", the second time i rode with it. Needless to say, I was very thankful for the "strap" becasue it kept my daughter with me and i didnt have to worry about dropping my son or losing my bags. I was able to keep everything in tact because she was "restrained". ONe lady said use a stroller and teach them about safety, we all know that kids RUN AWAY and STrollers are outgrown!JMO
    ttm_mommy

Answer by ttm_mommy at 10:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We bought one for our daughter. She wont sit in a cart, and our son walks around but holds our hand. Our daughter will throw herself down if we try to hold her hand. So we got the little backpack harness and she didnt like it at first but it's either that or she gets to sit in the car with mommy or daddy lol. Whatever it takes to keep her from running off and somone else snatching her up.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 1:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• While I've never used one, personally I understand it. It only takes that one second that you turn your back for your child to walk away, or get taken. It's very scary. My dd did walk away once when she was 5. I was absolutely panicked. I've not seen children and leashes very often, but it I don't think negatively of the person using it all, quite the opposite. Do what you think is best, and who cares what others think, right? GL
    lisamomfor3

Answer by lisamomfor3 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i have one for our daughter and love it. it keeps her from running off and it gives her a sense of freedom that she craves. i think the kids getting hurt are because the parents are using the "leash" as a substitute for watching after their kids. i've seen people use them and just walk off and expect their kid to follow or sometimes they drag their kids.
    AddysDogBear

Answer by AddysDogBear at 1:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I mean hurt by ppl in general, not by the leash, sorry I want specific. I just mean that ppl took these children and now they are dead because of evil ppl. It made me think of how I never want to let my baby girl go, then my mind linked to leashes and how they keep your babies close
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I never put my child on a leash nor would i ever do it. Put them in a stroller or teach them the dangers of wandering and the importance of holdong a hand. You put your pets on a leash not your kids.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've never used them but have no problem with them. As someone that had 3 small children at once they made sense. I only have 2 hands but 3 kids. Even with 1 in a stroller it was nearly impossible to walk anywhere with them and not have one run off. But instead of using a harness I just never went anywhere, literally. I spent like 3/4 years at home only going out by myself or with my husband...no day trips to the park (or at all because my husband hated going to the park) or anything like that because it was too hard to keep track of all of them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, these are my children not my pets. me and my husband keep our children very close to us. the older ones know to stay by us and the 3 year old is hand held at all times and baby is pushed in her stroller. We have 5 kids, I admit it got hectic at times but we learned what works best for us when we take family trips.
    mackk

Answer by mackk at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i, one time used a leash on my son and my mom apprehended me for using it on him. i regretted doing it. leash are for pets not for your kids. i've realized something. i won't do it to my next child. that's my personal choice.
    angel_caramel

Answer by angel_caramel at 8:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If we are going into a crowded area, like when we go to the fair or something like that, I use a backpack leash on my 2 yo. I hold her hand the whole time, I do not drag her around... it's purely for back up protection in case she does manage to get away from me... she can't go far.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009