Leashes for children?

How do you feel about these?

(I thought about this because I just saw on the news about two seperate, unrelated cases of children under 1yrs old being hurt and killed- I was thinking about a leash just so no one can take her) But I want to know how you feel about the children you see on leashes in public

HunnysFarAway

Asked by HunnysFarAway at 1:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have some very cute backpack type harnesses out there. My boys loved them when we used them.

When they are used (for the education of the uneducated) they are designed to be used as an additional safety measure, not as a method of control.

Parents usually still hold the hand of the young toddler with the "leash" around the wrist. It is NOT like walking a dog, it is an additional safety item. Children can still be snatched right from a parent's hand, children can easily and quickly slip their hand out of the parent's hand and dart into traffic or become lost in a crowd.

The "leash" keeps the child within a few feet of the parent and keeps them from being lost.

There is a huge difference between using a harness on a child and walking a damn dog on a leash.

If you want to go that route...you put your dog on a leash to keep it with you and keep it safe...why not allow your own child an extra measure of safety?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry, hurt and killed by leashes?
    I used them for my kids.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• are you kids dogs? i NEVER put my daughter on one because she knows that she needs to stay with mommy and daddy!
    woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Susie- No they were taken (no one is sure by who) hurt and killed- no matter who it was by, I was just thinking how you can trust anyone and how I might just want a leash so I never lose the most important thing there is to me
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i think there are certain times they are acceptable. if you are at an amusment park or zoo or something very crowded, than i think they are ok, its so easy for little people to not be noticeable in a crowd and well this way you are still attached to them. however if you are at the mall shopping, they can sit in a stroller. if they are too old for a stroller they should be well past the age where wearing a leash is appropriate anyways. i have one for my daughter and i've used it once, we went to bush gardens last year (an amusement park) she wanted to walk not be in her stroller i felt it was too crowded for her to be totally on her own, even with knowing she has to be near me, anyone could just grab her, whereas if i have a "leash" on her than i would be able to notice quicker than if i was looking around for her for 10 mins before calling the cops.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i think putting your kid on a "leash" gives a kidnapped that extra few feet to snach them! i do however agree with vabcmommy! if your child is too big to sit in a stroller then they dont need to have a "leash" i have seen one lady have a bracelet thing one end was on her daughters wrist and the other side was on the mom! i think if your going to use one i would rather see a child having a bracelet thing than a thing you put on your pet!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i would not put my daughter on a leash i would have her hold my hand and whoever elese hand as w were walking
    zoeysmommy09

Answer by zoeysmommy09 at 1:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well there are some holes in that idea. First off, what do you do with children who have issues like sensory disorders, autism ect.? I had a child who could and would climb out of a stroller and run away. He had NO idea what and where he was going.
    People put dogs on leashes for a reason. They cannot take care of themselves, but can be trained. So can most kids and once they are trained they no longer need them.
    I would not judge anyone who chose to use a leash on thier kids.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I used to think they were horrible... but now days I dont trust anyone and if they want to run away with my son they are going to have a harder time getting him out of the "leash" I'm going to use then if I just held his hand... I plan to use one thats an animal backpack with a long tail that I hold on to.. So it's not just a leash... My neice loves her's... I think if they arent used properly yeah they are horrible but as long as they are only use on certain occasion's then it's ok
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I won't put a leash on my child and no offense to those who choose to use leashes but it's like walking a dog and my son isn't a dog.
    feelgoodinc

Answer by feelgoodinc at 2:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2009