Any suggestions for an SUV or Minivan?

We just found out we're expecting our third!!! We can make a good sized down payment, or spend the same amount buying a car privately. We haven't decided what to do, but I don't even know where to start. Anyone have any good suggestions for a car with third row seating that gets good gas mileage, and is pretty reliable? Thanks!!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 2:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are you saying that you have enough money to either make a large down payment on a new vehicle or just buy one out right from a private individual? I would never get into a car payment if you didn't have to. Theres nothing wrong with used vehicles, especially if you can just pay for it with no debt. I would do that. I have an SUV and I use a lot of gas, so I would suggest a minivan. The best are the Honda Odessy, Chrylser Town and Country and I have heard good things about the KIA Sedona. I have owned all the rest. YOu just get more practical space with a minivan. I would get out the trader and see what I could find. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Congratulations! I would go for a van rather then SUV. You need a van to zip around town and not a gas guzzling SUV that could roll over. I am not an expert though.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We bought a Chrysler Voyager pre-owned from a Chrysler dealership. It came with the rest of the warranty (as if we were the orig, owners), and we got a pretty good price on it. lol - that way the orig owners got to "eat" the depreciation of the new car ;-)

We've had a pretty good experience with it, reasonable gas mileage, it's nice to drive, comfy seats/ roomy, and right now it's got over 100,000 miles on it and not doing to bad, so...

Just, if you go this route, I would get a new one, or get one from a reputable dealer who's replaced anything that needs to be replaced and will warranty it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to add, yrs ago, we had a suburban, and while I liked it ok too, I like the minivan a lot better. Plus, generally, the insurance on a minivan is lower (though this isn't always the case).

If you narrow it down to a couple of choices, I would call your insurance agent and ask them what your rates would be for each one, and compare that way, too.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We just sold our F250 and got an Explorer. The gas mileage is better because it's a V6 (compared to V8) I get about 20.2 highway and 19 everywhere else. It has the 3rd row but there's not a lot of room behind it, for groceries or a stroller, if you have the seats up.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Ford Expedition ($$$Gas$$$)

I have a Grand Caravan (2 kids) and I love it.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i would go with a ford escape. we havent had any problems with ours and the maintince is easy
    marinesweetie

Answer by marinesweetie at 9:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• We have a Chrysler Town & Country and we love it!
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 10:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i have the honda crv.. and i love it!
    the husband has a ford escape and loves it to.
    mrene88

Answer by mrene88 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I just bought the Saturn Outlook and love it!
    22hockeymom22

Answer by 22hockeymom22 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2009