I hope I didn't get scammed just now...

I just paid $30 for a legalaid site to answer my question about child support. Then after I paid I saw all of the stupid questions on there site and what the answer is worth $9, $15, and so on. Questions like "My dog pees in the house, I just bought a John Deer mower and it doesn't work. I asked for family law help, is this a scam?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh man, I wish you would've asked me first. I just went through all the support stuff. I also worked as a legal assistant in the past
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ummm i would have just called a lawyer and asked. b/c you never know when it comes to online stuff and every state is diff so it may not even be accurate for you...i hope you weren't scammed but i don' t know
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thanks vab, and it did give me the option of picking my state.................we'll see.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i think it is a scam. I believe you can get the info without paying a website. I would search the net for your states website and get info about how they help you from the state website. As for opinions, CM is a great way to get info from other moms that have been thru child support issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• That info is open to the public through state websites. Whatever state you live in, the state website should have that clearly outlined what the child support laws are. Any family lawyer can point you in the right direction. These websites are scams. You should never have to pay for that kind of information.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 2:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I know what you all are saying, I have gotten readout on-line from the tax accessors office for his properties but the child support officer said "ma'am, he is entitled to own a home", I was like WTH? he owns 3 homes 2 of which he rents out UNDER THE TABLE, but the courts are not interested in that, they are only interested in what he reports to be his income. SIGH, I have 3 months to investigate this man.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If you check the yellow pages there are literally hundreds of attorneys that offer a free first consult by phone or in person, as it is a great way to solicit clients. I couldn't tell you whether you were scammed or not I sure hope you weren't. I could have used the 30 dollars for some great yarn for a sweater.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 2:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes! Scam for sure!
    Assila

Answer by Assila at 3:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes. Scam. If you would have called a lawyer it would have taken you a while to find someone to help you but they would basically help you get started for free. I got free counseling from at least 3 or 4 different lawyers over the phone for a half hour each.. just to figure out if they could help me and what I needed to be doing etc. You can also look it up on the net yourself for free but that takes a while.. but free is free right? And you'd be educating yourself! Also.. NEVER call one of those phone numbers on tv about finding a lawyer for you.. 1-800-ask for bob/joe/jim/ whoever. That's crap too. They charge you like $100 an hour and they don't even guarantee they can help you or that they'll take your case. I can do the leg work myself and at least be guaranteed a chance.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 4:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Maybe not an outright scam... just a fast swindle.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009