another mother calls and tells me that my kid has to work and study too hard. is this any of her business?

she wants my child to play with her kid who has very little homework to do and no chores.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• No. Your child should have some play time (and I'm sure they do) but you should tell her your child has commitments and as nicely as you can, that you think chores are a character-building experience. I'm sure there are plenty of other kids to play with, she shouldn't have said that to you, although you may have to be the bigger person. Explain you'd love to have a playdate, this is when you're child is free. Hope it helps.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well, you are right that it isn't any of her business. I wonder if there is more to the story. One time, my neighbor told me my daughter reads too much! I could see if it interferred with her being social but it did not. I thought that was not only rude but an ignorant thing to say. I didn't ask her to elaborate but if she had implied I was working her too hard I think I would have waited until the smoke from my ears went away to ask her what she meant. There may be a nugget of truth in what other people say but we have to do what we believe is best for our families in the end. I'd be interested to hear how it goes...that;s an interesting one : )
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You're right, it's none of her business. As long as your child's life is well balanced.. between school, sports, whatever social activites, homework, chores, play time, family time, and time to rest/relax then it doesn't matter what others think.
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No, not at all.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 1:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Tell her, our parenting is up to us, but if you want to get involved, send your son over here to help mine study and do his chores!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2008