• In the Spotlight:

I have a 2 week old son, a 3 year old daughter and a 8 year old son with that being said I need advice on how to keep my house clean? if I go one day without cleaning it, my house looks like a wreck. and cleaning seems like a all day process because of the baby.

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• First off, you need to rest!! That said, try www.flylady.net Good luck
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Your 8 year old is old enough to help and be assigned some chores. My son is 7 and cleans up after himself, takes out the diapers and garbage. Your 3 year old you need to start teaching how to clean up after he/she is done with his/her toys. Clean some when the baby is sleeping, that's what I did. I dusted one day, vacuumed another, etc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i agree with the second poster, also in teaching your 3 yr old tell her she can't play with something until what she was playing with before is picked up. it will keep the whole place from being covered w/toys at the end of the day. load the dishwasher throughout the day, start it at night before you go to bed and then unload it in the morning. i also do the dust one day, vacum the next, mop etc...for the deep cleaning type stuff that way it only takes a little while to do the actual cleaning
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Two words Darling..... laundry baskets. I bought a bunch of cheap ones (I have two kids, so I bought three colors - blue, green and white. Blue was Jon's, green was Jim's and white was Mommy's. Each evening before bath and bedtime... I put all the baskets in the middle of the floor... and we played a game. Whoever could get the most things in other people's basket got to choose the bedtime snack (they were 3 &5 when I implemented this game). I would race with them... it took all of about 2 minutes to get all their stuff picked up from the living room. Then we'd have snack and a bath, when we got ready for bed (after bath) we did the same thing in their room (I had the luxury of them sharing a room) and ever who won got to choose the bedtime story. This game worked like a charm for about 4 years. And overall... it was a way to teach them responsibility and get a little help picking up. Everything else was mom's chore
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Cont'd..... The basket idea worked great. There were times I'd tell just one of the boys.... Hurry, gather all your things in the room, put them in the basket and bring it to me cuz I have a surprise for you. They'd come flying through the house pushing their basket like a car and I always had some special waiting for them - quarters works great for bigger kids.... candy toys (like ring pops) work great for smaller kids. We used those baskets for all kinds of things, including laundry. I would dump their hamper out and say "quick, put as many blue clothes in your basket as you can find". They learned their colors, and to recognize the different shades of a color AND they manage to sort their own clothes.
    As far as the rest of the house, daily maintenance is a must. Pay attention to the deep cleaning stuff and the whole house will look clean, just cluttered. The baskets help with clutter.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Don't bother, just do the best you can without stressing about it. You are not ever going to be mrs. clean with 3 kids.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I liked the suggestion on using baskets. If the kids will help keep toys up, the house won't look nearly so bad! Try to clean a little each day while the baby naps. I make sure to sweep daily, do laundry daily, and dust once a week. I make sure the clutter gets picked up each evening, otherwise I'd probably go nuts!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 8:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think all of the tips are great, but just in case you don't have a dishwasher, I scrap my plates in the trash, rinse them really well and then I fill the dishtub with extremely hot water and dishsoap. When I come back a bit later, all they really need is rinsed off. I like this because the water is usually way hotter than what I would normally wash them in and it gives me time to do other things than scrub pots!

The other thing is that there are certain trouble spots like counters, dining room tables and end tables that always seem to collect items. I try to take up those spaces with other things. Vases with flowers (real or fake) are great for this. That way either its too pretty to mess up or what you want to put there will not fit. But the best idea is to slowly get rid of things you don't absolutely need.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• What i do is i gives points to my kids whenever they do a good thing and when they react opposite i give them -1 for each and for good +1 so at the end of 50 points they both get a great gift which they always wished for this helps me to teach them how to clean up, behave with others, give respects to others, spreading love. Try this it will definitely work, half your work load will be cut, still you feel like you are having lots of work put on your favorite music enjoy sing along dance and do the work, watch your work done in minutes ask your kids to join too, having a family time and cleaned up. That's it. Be happy to be a great mom of three kids.
    harjohan

Answer by harjohan at 9:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Your three year old and 8 year old are old enough to do chores. The 8 year old can help sweep up, clean up after himself, put his own clothes away and do other things like taking out the recylcing ect. The 3 year old should at least be able to tidy up her toys and room and anything else she gets messy. It doesn't have to be a horrible thing. Make a routine, chores are a part of life and they'll get used to them.

My house is very organized. If something doesn't have a place to go, it gets thrown out. That way when I'm done with something, it isn't a hassle to put it away and I just do it. I clean the floors 2 times per weeks when DH is home or my baby is sleeping. We do dishes immediately after we eat and put them away. I do laundry as soon as the laundry basket is almost full, I don't let it pile over and the second the clothes come out of the laundry, they get folded and put away. Leave nothing sit.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009