• In the Spotlight:

What age do i start baby food?

he is on sensitive formula and i am afraid to start food to early.

airmanswife08

Asked by airmanswife08 at 2:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The American board of pediatrics recommends starting with cereals around 5-6 months, but some babies can start earlier, I started my son around 4 months, that's when he began to notice food and that I was eating. If your baby is still sensitive to formula I wouldn't start solids just yet, it might be too heavy for him. Hope this helps! good luck
    mamasita305

Answer by mamasita305 at 2:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• the first foods you can start your baby on are cereals at 5-6 months, you can also start as early as four months. thats what i did with my kids. then veges at about 5m and fruits from 6m. although i did both from about 5m. you gotta be careful though and get a certain kind to feed your baby every few days so that you would be able to know if their allergic to that food or not
    monica_sky1225

Answer by monica_sky1225 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 5-6months old! I did baby cereals at 4months old for about a month or 2 then went on to baby food at 5-6months old and my daughter did just fine with it!
    Assila

Answer by Assila at 3:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Usually 4-6 months. However, since he's on formula for sensitive little bodies, I would probably lean towards speaking with the pediatrician first and get his (or her) feel on it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My oldest baby started on limited cereal mixed with his formula at 3 months. My youngest started on limited cereal mixed with his formula at 5 months. Each baby is different, but the 4-6 month rule seems the right age, unless you have the hungry baby. Literally one to two baby spoons of rice cereal mixed with 4 oz. of formula can be given to younger babies (3-4 months) who don't sleep through the night because they're waking up hungry too often. Jars of baby food came for my boys about 1-2 months after they started the cereal.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Its best for their sensitive developing systems to wait until 6 months, I know thats not the popular belief as so many want to rush it and give solids too early, they think their babies "need" the extra food or that just because they may fuss or cry after a feeding that that automatically means their baby is still hungry.
    If you do your own research into the topic you will find LOTS of info supporting delaying solids and all the benefits of doing so, so, get out there mama and read up for the sake of your baby, dont rely on what a bunch of moms here say, find out for yourself!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• sensitive formula like similac sensitive ARE BAD FOR BABIES!!! pedi's are trying to get it off the market... its 43% sugar so least of ur concerns is solids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009