Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

old freezer

A friend gave us an old freezer that's not been used for a few years. The shelves seem to have mold on them. We'd like to clean and use it but before we do, I'd like to know if anyone would advise against it.
Thank you in advance.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • I would guess that it would be ok. I would take the shelves outside and pour boiling water on them after I scrubbed everything down with some kind of disinfectant. Just make sure it's very clean. It isn't like your bare food will be touching it. I hope I'm not wrong but like I said I would guess that it would be ok.

    Answer by jackiec7707 at 4:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • I would think if you scrubbed it really well with bleach or some other kind of sanitizer or disinfectant and let it air out for a few days, it would be ok. I don't think mold grows on frozen stuff while it's in the freezer, so as long as it's cleaned out really well, once you put it to use, it should be fine.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Personally, I wouldn't. But then I have an extreme allergy to mold and kids who are asthmatic. If you are absolutely positive you can get rid of ALL of the mold....go for it.

    However, if you don't get rid of all of it, mold goes into a hybernation of sorts. When the dormant spores hit the right conditions (temp and humidity) it can come back and spread easily. So, frozen you won't see the spores, but taking something out and the spores are then in the "normal" environment...there you go....mold in the house.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Op here. Thank you all very much for your input. I appreciate it very much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.