Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im so lost and kinda scared...please help!

My ex is always bugging about taking our 2 year old son to another state(to see family).I've never allowed it b/c im afraid that he'll take him and then I'll never see my son again. We're constantly arguing b/c he never spends time with the baby at all, and he's never helped support him. Im sick of it all, so first thing in the morning, im going to start the process to attain full physical custody and child support. Im really nervous because I don't know where to start or even which court to go to....please ladies, I need advice. Anything that could lead me in the right direction, or give me reassurance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by KenyonCsmom at 3:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • You can find your local child support office in the phone book, normally you can call your local procecutor and they can lead you in the right direction. The local IV-D office will charge you $25 for their one time fee if you don't recieve public assistance, if you do recieve assistance there is no fee. This office will do child support and the custody

    Answer by ronjwake at 3:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • go to your local child support division of the general attorney...they can help you. Thats what we did. We never had to go to court. But if he wont agree they will set you up with the court. Hope that helps. Good luck.

    Answer by Carli26 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • For the record; in case you were wondering. You ARE doing the right thing.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 5:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • ya you are doing the right thing and you should pat yourself on the back for that. I completely understand that what your doing is'nt easy but it's the right thing.

    Answer by raemommy at 5:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Yes, you are doing the right thing.

    Child support office or your local family court would be the right place to go.

    Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • You can look your local child support office up online. IMO the first thing you should do is get an attorney, it will make the custody process so much easier. Make a list, get all your questions on paper then you won't have to worry about forgetting something.

    Answer by 4x4mum at 9:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Good luck. You are doing the right thing. Most everyone has already mentioned about the child support office. If you do not make a lot (income wise) you may also try calling Legal Aid. They provide legal services to low income people. If you cannot find a listing for Legal Aid, call any law school you have in the area (or state if there is none nearby) and they can help by giving you the numbers of a local Legal Aid office (many Legal Aid offices are staffed by law student volunteers with licensed Attorney's in charge so law schools always keep a list of them for thier students to volunteer at).

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Yeah, he's probably trying to split with your baby...don't EVER leave him alone with him. Definitely get custody, because if he leaves state, you more than likely got no rights anymore than he does.

    Answer by environmentalpa at 9:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • that why you get an attorney. tell him what you are afraid of and have him file the proper papers. make sure you put in the papers that the baby can not leave the state or county with out complete details of addresses, telephone numbers, peoples name of where the child will be staying. and have specfic return tardiness is allowed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • One thing that I have found very valuable in many different circumstances is my membership to Prepaid Legal. For $25 a month membership I can call and ask them any legal questions that I want. This could be a great source of information on what to do and how to get started for very little $ up front, even if you only keep the membership for a month or two. You can find them online or in the phone book.

    Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.