i woke up to my toddler crying on the floor...!

My 15 month old co-sleeps and has NEVER fallen out of bed EVER!! This morning my hubby and I heard a big bang and crash and we jumped up...my son was laying on the floor in with his arms up around his head and his head in the floor like he does in bed but he was slightly crying. The ODD part about it was IF he did roll out of bed there is no way that he would be facing the way he was. The top of his head was facing toward our bed and his body was facing away...if he rolled out he would be right on the floor next to the bed. And I have a toddler bar on the bed too. I am so confused as to what happen. He never gets out of bed to play either and he was clearly still sleepy cause when I picked him up he crawled into bed and went to sleep all with a little murmur of a cry. Thoughts?!?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Was he sleep walking (or climbing - as it sounds like he'd have to climb to get out of the bed)? My daddy used to put a harness and leash on e starting about 18 months to keep me in the house. My mom said I would sleep walk and she'd find me curled up with the dogs outside or on the porch. I'm nearly 40 and I still sleep walk. He may have been dreaming, but half asleep and half awake and trying to get to you and DH. Maybe the thud wasn't as bad on him as it sounded... and once he stopped.. he just lay there. It's anyone's guess what actually happened though.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I dont think he does that...he is a pretty solid sleeper. All through the night he was doing that little cry and tossing and turning..but he was still very solid out of it.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Sleep walking of some sort.

He may have been crawling around on the bed, hit the edge, head first to the floor then feet flipped over so he landed the way he was.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009