At what age can we implement the Ferber sleep method?

hudsonmommy

Asked by hudsonmommy at 5:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• UMMMMM whats the ferber sleep method??? I don't think i have ever heard that one..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• me either...what is it? Anything that helps better sleeping please let me know lol!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't ever use it. There are simpler and less stressful ways then letting your baby CIO even if you keep checking on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 4 months old is the earliest age you can start the Ferber method. Newborns aren't ready for it.

We tried it when my son was about 7 or 8 months old. The first night was terrible, I was crying harder than the baby! The second night was a little easier. The third night he was asleep within 10 minutes. Now he's usually asleep in 5 minutes and generally sleeps 10-12 hours at night, plus an afternoon nap.

Check out Dr Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" for more info. Also, the book "Baby 411" by Dr Ari Brown & Denise Fields has an outline of the Ferber method in the sleep section. It's not like you just walk away and let your poor baby scream all night, you check in with the baby at regular intervals so he or she gets the reassurance they need.

I respect the anti-CIO sentiment, but the Ferber method worked beautifully for us.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 7:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• NEVER even Ferber himself has retracted his method and says it is detrimental to children. I would recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution if you really need to get your kids to sleep, but I wouldn't start it until AT LEAST 6 months old and closer to 12 months. Personally I never did anything and my kids both slept very well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I personally would never do that to my kids.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 7:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah, even Ferber himself has come forward and said his method can be detrimental to babies, thats got to tell you something, I sure wouldnt use a method where its creator denounces it! That would be foolish on my part and irresponsible, I would want to find a method that worked without being detrimental to my child!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OP, do what you want. People on here will find a reason why it is wrong and OHHH the damage it will do to your baby! Every family and their parenting styles are different and there is nothing wrong with any of them.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No younger than 4 months old. I used the Ferber method with both of my kids. It worked like a dream and my kids are now healthy, happy 10 and 12 year old children. We never had one moments trouble with bed time after we let them cry it out. It took a couple of hours the first night and only 20 minutes the second night. After that, they put themselves to sleep without any trouble. It is not foolish and irresponsible. What is foolish is allowing children to run the house. I know people who spend hours trying to convince their children to go to bed. That is foolishness!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I only had to did CIO with my oldest and I started at 10 months old. And he is perfectly fine. People will try to tell you it causes attachment problems and brain damage, it doesn't. It takes far more than sleep training to cause that. My SS has diagnosed attachment problems, its caused from acute neglect. Do you give the child a bottle for bed? If so, I would take that away first and see how it goes. If you do use CIO I wouldn't start until 8 or 9 months. Also, if you don't have a regular nighttime routine start one. We have one with my 9 week old and she sleeps 6 hours straight. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009