Taking my kids out of pre-school early......

My twins are in pre-school this year and I have to go out of town for 2 weeks. While I'm gone my mother-in-law will have them. The problem is that she lives 30 mins away from their school and since they are only going half days, she feels it would be a waste to drop them off and go home and then turn around to go pick them back up. Another thing that I have been thinking about is that my kids are bored out of their minds anyways, and have been for some time now. If she doesn't take them to school I will have to pull them out for the rest of the year because they can only miss so many days.

Do you think this will set a bad example for them when they start kindergarten next year?

Thanks for your help with this matter.....

Jess

twinmama84

Asked by twinmama84 at 7:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you can avoid doing that I would. I think it's worth the drive for her. Maybe offer her gas money.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If preschool isn't mandatory in your district I don't think it's a big deal. The school year is almost over. My parents pulled me out of preschool when I was a kid because we went on vacation for 2 weeks...and I was bored and it seemed like a waste to her since all we did was art projects. Then again, I was already reading easy books and all that so I was ahead of most kindergarteners at the time.

I have 4 kids, 3 of them are in school and only 2 went to preschool. My oldest went 2 days a week for 1 1/2 hours each day. My son never went to preschool (he's in 1st grade this year) and my middle daughter went the same hours as my oldest but only the 2nd half of the year and was already 5 when she started and that was purely to get her used to being away from us. They all did fine in kindergarten.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• no your not setting a bad example. Sometimes its okay to bend the rules. I let my son miss his first 3 classes yesterday so we could go out for breakfast with my brother and his family for breakfast. Its all good.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My kids miss 2-3 days every October for our family vacation. I told the teachers ahead of time and that I would be happy to make up any work, but this was our time and I wasn't letting the school system tell me how to run my home. They were fine with it. I think its fine. You have to do what you have to do. Preschool is just preschool. Its not mandatory.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• At that age they have no idea if they go to school still or not. But if you must finish out the year in order for them to go to preschool then I would work something out with your MIL. I know a few states require they finish the year and can only miss so many days or they have to repeat it. Some states only require kindergarden as preschool is only designed to prepare them for it. Speak with the school about it and see if it matters. All kids are bored at that age and it won't change in kindergarden either. They get bored there as well.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Talk to the school. Yes, they may miss two weeks, but there's a good reason! They're going to be out of town! That's stupid that they would make them withdraw from the school for going on "vacation" to their grandmothers.

Talk to the teachers. Talk to the director. There's an exception to EVERY rule.

Well...maybe not EVERY...but you know what I mean! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• In my opinion, kids need stability and to keep their routine. Also, my daughter learned so much in preschool. Its up to you, because the school year will be over soon, but if it were me I would def. keep my child in school.
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 9:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Could you give her a key to your house so she could just hang out there while they are at school? Just a suggestion!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think you should def talk to the school district and see if they have to finish out the school year in order to go to Kindergarden. If so, as a PP said I'd see if I could work something out with my mother-in-law, maybe offer to give/ reinburse her money for gas. Did you actually ask your MIL if she'd mind taking them back and forth? Maybe she could drive them to school and instead of driving back to her house, give her a key to your house where she could hang out until the kids are out of school thus saving her some time and gas.

If it were me I know my MIL might not like the idea of driving half an hour one way to take the kids to school, but my hubby and I would offer her money for gas and give her a key to the house so she could chill there until they get out of school. She'd probably even take them back to the house after she picks them up to get them a quick snack before the drive back to her house.

GL!
    Marine_Mommy4

Answer by Marine_Mommy4 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• They don't have to finish pre-k for kindergarden here, they actually call it voluntary pre-k lol And they can only miss the 5 days because where we live c.c.c pays for them to go to school for the half day.
    twinmama84

Answer by twinmama84 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2009