How young do children get taught 'The Scare Tatic"?

ok... to be nice...hmmmmm

My gs tells me last night that some of his friends told him and others that the red stripe on a candy cane is the blood of Jesus and that you eat it each time and he tells me this with fear on his face as he opens a pepperment stick. Now after the shock I saw "RED" Scare Tatic in the 2nd grd what are these people teaching in Church? So I told him in NO WAY or NO HOW IS IT EVER the blood of Jesus and apparently that is what THEY are being taught to believe and that it's ok for them but not for him or us.
And b4 the Preachers come out... remember I am Pagan Witch and at this moment in tme YOUR bible verses/preaching isn't happening. DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT.
I told dh when he got home and for a once Lutheran Elder, NEVER heard of that either and wasn't to happy.
So I have put together what I am going to tell our gs, but would love suggestions that I may use with it. (continued)

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 8:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Also how young do children in some Christians secs start getting taught the scare tatic...?
    I have NEVER heard of this and these children stand firm on what they were taught....

We are not going to go to the school with this, we have just decided to start a little sooner his religious understanding of beng Pagan and of the more stricter Lutheran sec (grandpa side) and then once he simi-understands this and how we feel and believe then we will further it with him ...
    But right now we are doing the Don't be Afraid of what they say thing.... I don't want him to look at his friends differently bc they talk like that, but I want him to understand that that is their way and their families way of believing and to still be friends and not worry about it....

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Some churches teach some odd stuff. When I was teaching in NC I had a student tell me I couldn't put up a picture of a jack-o-lantern because Halloween was the devil's birthday. I told him to bring his bible in and show me where it said that and then I would take it down. Needless to say, he never mentioned it again.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The candy cane story isn't supposed to scare a child, and am sorry if it has to your grandson. If you choose to, and google what it actually means, you might have better understanding to explain it to him. I am a believer in Jesus, and allowing you to research it, or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't be too happy about that either AND I'm CHRISTIAN! Why would you tell a kid that they are eating blood... Second grade is just too young to understand something like that.. or the metaphor from where I'm sure it must have come. They take things very literal in the second grade..... I wouldn't call it a scare tactic as much as I would a stupid tactic. Good grief... I guess it goes along with a denomination (won't mention names) teaching my friend that her unruly 4 yr old should be allowed to refuse punishment (because of her human rights). Sometimes, you just gotta roll your eyes and say, 'whatever!" then roll up your sleeves and go to work undoing what someone else did. I hate that.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have seen little brochures with candy canes that churches pass out. They say the red SYMBOLIZES
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• -sorry, symbolizes the blood of Christ...not that it is...perhaps the kids misunderstood what they were being told- little boys listen sporadically and will often take the more interesting meaning...lol

and then some churches are a little wacky and maybe would teach that...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 8:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• http://www.noelnoelnoel.com/trad/candycane.html

Here is a link to the basic history of the candy cane. I dont know HOW it was presented to him, but some people feel it was a "representation" of Christs sacrifice (which is the blood), but it sounds like this child is taking this literally? If you want your children to know what you believe, then teach them, but ground needs to be very lightly treaded because kids are so literal. They don't get symbolism and representation like we do. Some churches really do teach odd stuff and personally, if you have certain beliefs or convictions that are just there and you feel they are from the Lord, then fine, but that doesnt mean that another person, who even shares the same faith, will also share your conviction or belief. I hold very fundamental and foundational christian beliefs and I love God, but I do not like tradtional organized church. There arent too many people like that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Anon. I read about what the Candycane is and it's history and again it was taken by Christians secs to represent something for their purpose..
    The true history of Candycanes is purely candy... not of Jesus bc it's shaped as an unsidedown J
    but thank you for your input...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Wow, I've never heard that one before! I don't have an answer to your question. I was raised christian and never had weird ideas like that taught to me. I made the decision on my own to move away from Christianity and aside from the initial shock from members of my family (grandfather was a bishop and uncles priests) they have been nothing but supportive and sometimes even a little curious.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I guess I should add that children who are brought up in a religion/denomination who teaches this kind of metaphor would probably have a better understanding [metaphorically] of the meaning... and that you can't keep children from sharing what they perceive something to mean... even if they came away with the wrong perception of something.... and now are spreading it on the playground like it's candy itself.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009