How can I gert my 4 year old to talk nicely?

peahnuts

Asked by peahnuts at 8:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, what is he/she saying that is bad? Mine is 4 1/2, and acts bratty at times, and tells me to stop it, when he doesn't get his way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nicely? What exactly do you mean?

Speaking properly? Remembering her manners? Speaking in a quieter tone? Improving vocabulary?
    Anonymous

• Everytime your child says something you don't like just kindly remind him/her the correct thing to say.
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 9:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• give him the silent treatment until he stops or keep your voice calm and a smile on your face and show him how much you enjoy being calm and happy. i have found the best opion is to ignore it like he never said and he will realize it doesnt get ypour attention or press your buttons.
    countryGIRL399

Answer by countryGIRL399 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The best way for children to learn is by example. My daughter is 2 1/2 and often "orders" me to do something. I always ask her "what do you say" and then she says "please". After she asks politely, than I tend to her. Also, I remind her to say "thank you". I always thank her when she does something nice or good. She's actually a very polite child but manners is something that is required both in our home and at the sitters. Also, try not the yell at your child. Even when my daughter is getting on my nerves, I remind myself to stay calm around her. It teaches her to not to freak out when things don't go her way.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2009