• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone send their child to online school that has an IEP?

My child has an IEP and the school totally ignores it. So I am trying to find other alternatives. There is an online school that is self paced and seems pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has used them when the school system fails. Also would he still be able to get speech and other services provided to him through the district?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just because he does thing online doesn't mean the school can ignore the needs he has. Have you tried learning centers where he can get 1 on 1 time with a trained professional rather than doing it online? Have you looked into a different school also? If they are not following his IEP make a complaint against the school system. Usually with IEP's the internet can only do so much as they need the one on one to full help them understand.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If the school is ignoring his IEP, the first thing you need to do is get more proactive! Call the special education department, find an advocacy group in your area, call legal aid if you have to. If for no other reason than this doesn't happen to another child!!! If they're doing it to YOURS, they WILL do it to another!! (I know. I took on our head start program...there is now a new director and computers) Call the teacher on the carpet with the principal and find out why they are not following the IEP. They are breaking the law here.

If you want to begin homeschooling, you can. The school district still has to provide his services as long as you are doing everything required for homeschooling in your area. The only thing they can do is if he falls too far behind of where he should be, they can require you to put him back in public school (happened to a cousin of mine).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You guys don't think I spent the last 8 months begging them to stop using the loophole in the IEP wording? It says pull as needed. So rather then taking what we all talked about verbally they use that to mean not to pull him. They don't care the one teacher even told me schedules wouldn't allow my child to be pulled out. We are going for yet another meeting but it is starting to seem pointless I am thinking the superintendent is now going to side with them. We are thinking of getting a lawyer but what if they get snowed like my last parent advocate. Oh yeah my parent advocate fell for their lets try this and see how it goes speech. So how it went is he is now below average, his IQ dropped and he reads at a 2nd or 3rd grade level and he is old enough to be going into 7th. So I have lost hope in regular schools. I was thinking of home schooling also. I am looking at all alternatives right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• the school by law has to follow his IEP or offer services close to it. You need to see the school ASAP about this. And make sure at his next IEP review that wording gets removed. And do not sign it unless you agree to it.. Go give the school HE!!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• If the school is ignoring the IEP, you need to go to the principal and complain. If that doesn't work then you go to the State Board of Education and complain, if that doesn't work go to the Federal Board of Education. An IEP is a FEDERALLY mandated piece of a child's education that has to be followed, there are penalties for the schools and teachers when they are not followed. I really don't think e-school would have to follow an IEP, there wouldn't be a way to make sure it was followed, all work is done online and emailed to the teacher.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009