All Faith Discussion - Anger: Non-Christians, as always, don't have to read the verse :-)

"Matt 21:12-13
(12)And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, (13)And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

This has always been one of my favorite stories in the bible because, let's face it, Jesus was PISSED. It showed a human side to him that no one had really seen before - anger. Yesterday, we had a great discussion on pacifism. Today, I wanted to talk a little bit about anger.

Do you think Jesus was "taking vengeance" on the moneychangers? Do you think he had was right to be angry?

Christians: Do you think anger is sinful? How do you deal with it?

Non-Christians: Do let your anger get to you? How do YOU deal with it?

Everyone: Do you think this contradicts the idea of the pacifist?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I sometimes let my anger get to me. But it's just my nature. I try to be a pacifist, though. I'm practically a classic example of a bleeding-heart liberal. I'm just too lazy to stop eating meat =]

I deal with anger by going inside myself most of the time. I don't deal with it the way I should, and that's a problem, I know. I usually end up lashing out at the people I love most.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Anger isn't sinful from my understanding, it is if you act on that anger in a harmful way, meaning murder, abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• People are people and get they angry. Jesus was a person (no matter what you think about him after his death) and obviously got angry sometimes. We all have our own way of dealing with it and I can't say that there is any one method that I use. It all depends on the situation and how angry I am. Anyone who wants to claim they never get angry is either lying or fooling themselves. We may learn to control our reactions to our emotions, but we can't stop ourselves from feeling them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Marwill

I like what you said here: "Anyone who wants to claim they never get angry is either lying or fooling themselves"

I have heard many people say "oh, I never get angry" and then turn around and scream at their kids.

I handle anger through prayer, or at least I try to. I also cry. A LOT. It's very therepudic and cleansing, I think, to just "cry it out" sometimes. I used to be one who bottled up her anger, but then I ended up with an addiction to pot, alcohol, and cigarettes, and one really nasty ulcer. In fact, I attribute this particular bible story to helping me learn to deal with my anger rather than keeping it all in.

I also agree with Anon - I don't think the FEELING of anger is harmful or sinful, if you deal with it correctly and don't let it lead to harming another.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am not a Christian, but I think that Jesus is in the position to judge and if he was acting on this it is because it was necessary, not necessarily out of anger but out of what was just.

I think anger probably would be considered a sin. It comes from sinful things such as detest, jealousy, etc. and that action on it would be another sin.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Jesus was experiencing a form of righteous indignation when he flipped the tables. The whole issue dealt with his belief that the temple tradition wasn't being kept as set down in the scrolls. He was a fundamentalist wanting to return to past traditions without seeing any value to modern innovation. Do I think he had a right to be angry? Maybe but he had no right to flip the tables and scorage the moneylenders. He had no authority to do so and did so unjustly. There were avenues to peruse to encourage a return to the older traditions which he did not do, at least not recorded.

Anger itself isn't a bad emotion. What one does with anger can produce bad results as with any emotion. Controlled anger can be useful and help produce positive change. I prefer to use my anger to help motivate me to create change in a positive direction.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The bible says you can be angry and do not sin in your anger. Jesus is God he is our father and creator, when we misbehave or go against his word he will chastise us. Chastising children is a parental right and obligation. That being said Jesus getting angry when they were misbehaving in temple it was not a sin.

mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My anger doesnt get the best of me really.
    Im not one who gets upset easily and if I do flare up its usually to my hubby and Im calm again in a few minutes LOL.

No one has that much control over me to get me to want to beat on something or someone,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• God made us human. As humans, we have emotions. I don't think emotions such as anger is a sin, but I do believe how we act on those feelings is what's sinful or not. For instance, I get sooo frustrated with my husband sometimes and yes, ANGRY. I sin because I sometimes yell and argue with him, and sometimes just wish he'd go away...(I know that sounds bad) and I know that's a sin. I need to learn how to deal with my anger in more constructive ways....Whatever your views on sin, God created us all. He gave us our feelings and our emotions, and he gave us the right of free- will. It's up to us to choose right from wrong in our day to day lives, but one day we will all answer for the choices we made. Did I even answer the question????? lol
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Maybe he was just frustrated...I know I would have been!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2009