What should I do with our dog?

We have a Dachshund, he's three years old. We adore him, for the most part he's a great dog. However, last fall he bit the young girl down the street. Before you ask, no she didn't do anything to him. All she did was knock on our door and ask if my DD could play with her little brother. She's 12. He drew blood, and it was pretty, bad but she didn't need stitches. Her mom and my DH want to get rid of him, I can understand that, because he's nipped before. He's not fixed nor can I afford to, but I don't want him to end up in a puppy mill, the shelters are full and have been since fall, and we were just turned down from a rescue because he's too risky,which is why I am posting this now, instead of last fall. Training is too expensive, and her parents aren't allowing the option at any rate. I don't want him put to sleep but is that my only option? Have we done everything we can? Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, that is your only option. I don't know why people never seem to understand this, but it is HORRIBLY irresponsible to re-home a dog with a bite history. Think about it this way: YOU'RE at the shelter or rescue looking for a new dog and you see a cute little daschund.....re-homing your dog could lead to another person (potentially another child) getting hurt or worse. Don't do it. Let your dog cross the bridge surrounded by his family, he at least deserves that.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• There has to be someone that will take him. Put adds out all over some will travel. A ligitimate breeder will probably travel for him. He should be able to be trained but then again since I am not there I cannot be sure of that. But I would put him to sleep before I would take him to a shelter (puppy mills might get him) And that is no life for any animal. Sorry not much help...GL
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 9:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Having him "put down" will cost money too, if you are going to spend the money on that then why not invest it into training?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Put him on craigslist, explain how he is, be upfront. There are also pet rescues, I'm sure you will have one in your area...
    I'm not sure if you can place a dog with a rescue group but here's the link and you can contact them and see if they have any suggestions...
    http://www.drna.org/
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• you can also put him on petfinder.org.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Oh and btw don't bother trying rescue groups--they won't take a dog with a bite history. It's a huge liability, like I mentioned above.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think it would be irresponsible to try to find a new home for a dog who already bit a child - what if he attacks another child and hurts them worse - you're lucky you didnt get fined and or sued

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OP: The cost of training him starts at 200.00 due to his biting and depends on how long it takes to retrain him. The cost of allowing him to be put down is 60.00. The shelters (as I was told) are having even higher numbers of animals abandonded due to foreclosures and so a problem pet is not their priority. ( I didn't hide his history.) I would still have to find him a home after that, to avoid a lawsuit. And like aurorabunny said, the rescue already refused him. Craigslist is too risky, you can't tell who might be from a puppy mill by a few minutes of contact or emails. My parents recently got a dog from puppyfinder, who was supposed to be legit, but the vet believes she was a puppy mill dog too. I like what was said about allowing him to go surrounded by his family. We didn't want this to happen, we are responsible pet owners for the most part. I just feel awful about the girl and our Jess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009