Why is it when working with children of any age or condition we don't get paid enough?

I mean for teachers that do have their Bachelors well good for them but like when you work at a daycare they don't pay much at all. I would say at least $10.00 an hour for starters some places don't know the hell we go through with some kids some kids are plain terrible but we try our best to make them happy and I guess there is where the money question comes in. Like if you are filling in for a teacher you don't get paid enough either. I believe being a mom is a big job as well I wish we could get paid for being a mom...lol But seriously why don't they pay enough for woman who work with kids...they are a hand full.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Teachers don't get paid well at all either. I don't think it's fair at all for either.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Its a choice you make and if you truly love the job the pay isn't what is important, its being around the kids and teaching them. I have worked at daycares making $8.50 an hour and I have also worked at more upscale ones making $14 an hour and believe me the kids act the same no matter what your pay is. I have also worked with mentally retarded men and women making $14 an hour and its the same as working with children except for the fact they can really put a beating on you. No all jobs are based off the money, you have to truly enjoy it and want to make a difference in the kids life to think its a worthwhile job. Being a mother is a privilege to me and not a job so I would never want to be paid for raising my own child. Now being a maid, cook, laundry service and everything else yes but not being a mother.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Most of these places can't afford to pay their employees more. Look how much it cost to send a child to day care already. If day care workers wanted to be paid $20 an hour no one would be able to afford to send their kid there and that place wouldn't be in business anyway. They have to balance it out. That is one of the things you know going into childcare. It's not a high paying job. And hopefully these people aren't in it for the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It has been that way since the beginning of time. They don't pay enough because the day care centers need to be competitive and keep their prices low, because if they don't, parents will find a cheaper day care, or find a family member that they can pay cheaper. Also taxes, Every year I paid $6,000 in day care for my daughter, and I only got back around $2500 in my taxes.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 6:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2009