5 week old hasn't pooped in 5 days?

Ok so my son is 5 weeks old and he hasn't pooped in 5 days. I am Bf ing him and i'm wooried because i feel like he should be pooping more but it dosen't seem to be bothering him at all. I called the Dr. and spoke with a nurse who recomended for me to give him a bottle of 4oz. warm water with 1/2-1 teaspoon of sugar every day to help. She told me not to worry but that was on Sat. morning. I think i might call again but don't know waht to do. Please help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can buy a baby laxative or do a stomach massage on him. Put a warm compress on his belly and push his knees to his chest and rock him back and forth that way. Our daughter did it and the dr said to use her thermometer and stick it in her rectum and slowly turn it and move it until you feel pressure and then stop to stimulate the bowels. You can try giving him a little baby prune juice as well or apple juice.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Call the ped again!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OMG! my 5wk old did the same thing last week only she went 2 days and I Bf also. She didn't seem to be bothered by it either. My pediatrition said to give her a half of a glycerine suposatory. They sell them at any store. She went to the bathroom after I gave her a warm bath with me so I didn't need to use them.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I was to nervous to try juices of any kind because of the age. Try a bath first. Let his belly soak in the warm water and after a few hours he should go.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• bf'd babies don't poop as much, because after the breast milk is digested there isn't much to excrete. When my daughter was a newborn she would only poop once maybe twice a week. You DON'T need to be giving him juice, or laxatives or suppositories unless he is TRULY constipated which it doesn't sound like. The only thing I would try is taking his temp rectally, but I really don't think there is a problem.
    lovemybabygirl7

Answer by lovemybabygirl7 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement. No Karo, no juice, nothing is needed. Karo states specifically on their website that it should not be given to infants. It carries a risk of botulisum, just like honey. As long as the poop they are having is not hard, dry or pellet like, it's fine with an EBF baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009