Do you think some people go to church for a social gathering?

Please do not take this the wrong way but when I went it seemed to me that people were just there to be with people and some of the music they play omg it was not the way it used to be where you can sing a song and feel so good inside. I just did not like it anymore I do believe in God and talk to him everyday he will listen no matter where we are at...right? Church is not the way I remembered it. I just can't help thinking about being around SOME people who pretend. I know God will be the final judge but in the mean time I don't like it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i agree.... i used to love going to mu church but now that i'm older & see what's actually going on it irks me... the biggest hypocrites there are the preacher's wife & kids (my brother is married to one of those "good" girls)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah I know what you mean. That's not every church but I have been to a church like that. You just have to find what works for you.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 10:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes, I think some people do go to church to socialize. And I think that is OK.... At least they are coming!!

One of my reasons for going to church is just that reason! I want to have my kids and myself have an extended church family. I'd rather go hang out at church, instead of going to hang out at a bar to make new friends....

Every one deserves to be able to go to church, and if someone is coming to make Christian friends then more-power-to-them!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• When my aunt decided that her kids were old enough to decide on there own whether they wanted to go to church or not they of course decided they didn't want to go unless it was the first Sunday of the month which was potluck Sunday and there was a big meal and games after service. After that happened like twice she told them if they didn't go any other Sunday they couldn't go for Potluck Sunday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am sure there are some people who do that. But in most cases, I don't think it's a bad thing. If you believe in God and want to make friends, I don't see the big deal in going to church to meet more people who have similar beliefs. Are there some people who make church like junior high and gossip 24/7? Sure there are. But people like that are everywhere, not just in church. Just because someone is there socializing doesn't mean they don't love God and want to be there for worship. Surrounding yourself with other Christians is a very important part of the Christian lifestyle. I think meeting people at church is a great way to build a strong group of friends. Just because you don't like the type of music a church plays doesn't make it bad either. I love this new style of music. Maybe you could try the earlier service, they are more traditional than later ones typically.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The bible calls for us to go to church for the fellowship. To be around other Christians (people of faith). It really erks me how people say "they are the biggest hypocrites. No matter WHERE you go, your going to find people who are hypocrites. Not just at church, so why is it the church is the only place that gets slammed for hypocrites. I meet people all the time that are hypocrites and its not about them being Christians, its about them just saying one thing but doing the other. Its human nature. God doesn't call us to be perfect, he knows we can't be. But why pass judgment on one christian as being a hypocrite, when what your basing that on could just be one thing that they are struggling with? The church is a place to learn, and grow and fellowship. Of course there are going to be people that mess up. Don't we all mess up?? But because they go to church they are the first ones to get fingers pointed at.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• And about the music, if you don't like it, find another church that plays the style music you like. I love the contemporary style, but it isn't for everyone. Praise and Worship music is made just for that- to praise and worship God. If someone doesn't like that style then they can always find another church that still plays hymns if their church doesn't still have a traditional service, or mix it up.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• personally, I like the contemporary services. After being raised Catholic is is a breath of fresh air for me!! :-) Plus, my young kids like the comtempoary services. At least it is bringing us all together and we all enjoy it. If we went to a traditional service, we wouldn't feel comfortable at all...

There are still as many traditional services in our area. There are probably still Traditional services available where you live too.... Instead of grow hateful because you don't like the people and the way they worship, go find another church that has the kind of people that you enjoy being around.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• "The bible calls for us to go to church for the fellowship." That is so true!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah i know the feeling- i used to love going to church (even as a child, my parents didnt take me but a friends family would and i loved it) and i used to go with my fiances mom to her church but they found a new pastor a year ago and he started the whole falling out in seizures and talking in tongues and all that and it made me uncomfortable- so now i dont go and i dont send my kids- its hard to find a good church now a days where people are sincere with their worship- its one thing if u catch the holy ghost for real and u want to express ur joy but its totally different here at this church- they were all faking (believe me i could tell) i mean- they would fall all out then as soon as the attention went somewhere else they would jump up start shouting and once everyone was looking at them again they would fall out agan- oh and the pastor had a thing with slaying u in the name of Jesus but when u would play along and pass...
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009