All of you army wives.

I am not an army wife, but I am in a similar situation with my children. I am asking this question to any army wife that has or has had a deployed husband and small kids at home.
I currently spend weeks months away from home in the hospital with my son, who is battling cancer. I am wondering what type of things you do to help your other children cope. My kids are 6, 5 and 2 and my son in the hospital is also two ( a twin to the 2 year old at home. ) They are having a really hard time, Currently I have been in the hospital since early march with my son which is quite far away, my son is in the icu and they are not able to visit. I just start to see it really affecting them, my husband said my six year old woke up crying for me multiple times and my five year old has started chewing on things terribly, I am not joking and I think that ithas to do with stress from this situation not to mention that the twin is also.

lolagirlkoch

Asked by lolagirlkoch at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its a stressful situation and my husband has deployed 3 times. You need to make time for you other kids although its hard to leave the sick one. You can get books on how to cope with a absent parent or do special things for them. Can you let your husband take over for a few days and spend time with the kids? Take pictures and maybe a video camera to the hospital so that they can see your son. Have them make cards and if he is well enough have him make them things as well. If your husband can have him take a shift or two so you can be home as they do still need you as well. My heart goes out to you and I hope your son no, I know your son will beat this fight.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I do go home when i can, seems like someone is always sick at home and with my son having really no immune system I cannot be around anyone sick , if I get sick i cannot be back at the hospital. I was wondering if there is anytype of interactive counsiling for young children? We have the video phones where they can see me when i talk to then and so forth, it is just they are so young I don' t know how to help them cope with something they cannot even understand.
    lolagirlkoch

Answer by lolagirlkoch at 2:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009