Right with God . . . ? (All faiths welcome)

I'm kinda piggybacking off of Anon's post, but I just started really thinking about this concept.

I was taught that to be "right with God" you have to be basically sin-free. But then I was also taught that this is an impossibility (we have human nature and therefore can never be "sin free").

So . . . what does it mean to be "right with God"? Are YOU "right with God"?

Do you think you have to be "right" to be "saved"?
Or do you need to be "saved" to be "right"?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know what it means to be "Right with GOD" Personally I have a VERY strong faith him and ask his guidance on life alot. I also don't believe in the whole "without sin" crap. WE are human beings with free will, we makes mistakes, thats how we learn. As far as being Saved, I dont' need to be saved, not by a church anyways, a church is made of up MAN, man is fallable.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think it means you have a relationship with him, and depend on him for your needs. By having trust and faith in him in all situations, good or bad. Some religions do teach more about not sinning, and though I believe God wants us to practice self-control, I think being "right" with him is putting him in the center of your life. Even if you do wrong and sin. He wants us to live by the fruit of the holy spirit, but when we struggle with it, we need to come to him. He wants to be involved in his children's lives, because he is our Father, and he cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think you become saved first to become right with God. And "right with God" doesn't mean you are absolutely sin free b/c we all sin. It just means you do your best and when you do sin you ask for forgiveness. Being right with God to me means you have a personal relationship with God and do your best to please him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Being "right with God" is speaking of the righteousness of God or being in right standing with God.. which only comes by salvation through His Son Jesus Christ.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think its about building a relationship and working on it.
    Not being saved,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I was taught that to be "right with God" you have to be basically sin-free. But then I was also taught that this is an impossibility (we have human nature and therefore can never be "sin free").

Yes, I was always taught that, too.  ((Religion - URGH!))  I believe that I AM "right with GOD" because you cannot be "wrong with GOD".  You can be "out of line" with GOD - in other words you can walk a path in which GOD is not a part of it (in your own mind) but you cannot be "wrong with GOD".  We are perfection just as we are, regardless of "where" you are.  But I feel like I AM (maybe more) "right with GOD" because I am striving to walk a GODLY path versus an un-godly path. 

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yes
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I personally believe that one requirment is that we must have a strong desire to be like God in so much that we strive towards perfection. The atonement then picks up what we miss IMO. Of course we all sin, but as long as we try our best to do good, I think we are fine.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe in sin.  As long as I don't hurt anyone or infringe upon their rights then anything goes. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:05 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• "I believe that I AM "right with GOD" because you cannot be "wrong with GOD". You can be "out of line" with GOD - in other words you can walk a path in which GOD is not a part of it (in your own mind) but you cannot be "wrong with GOD". "

I agree with Jenettyshome. I believe basically I am "right" with God because I am on my right path and I am doing what I am here to do but I actually don't believe anyone is wrong with God. God supports and loves all or us no matter what.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009