Whats wrong?

My four week old baby was doing fine with feedings. (FF baby) He would wake up every three hours to eat and he would eat four ounces of formula at each feeding. A couple of days ago he ate six ounces at one feeding and three ounces at the next. He woke up a couple of times last night whining but only ate like one and a half ounces every three hours in the night and this morning ate four. Should I be worried?

CarleeDalene

Asked by CarleeDalene at 10:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nah, sounds like he's just trying to set a schedual, he might not really need to eat in the middle of the night. My kids quit eating in the middle of the night around that age as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No, he probably wasn't hungry. Try to avoid giving him a bottle right off the bat. Try patting him or turning him as he cant do it himself. If he takes a pacifier give that to him instead. Maybes change their feeding times and amounts whenever they want so its nothing to be concerned about. Let him fuss for a little bit as well, it wont hurt him and he may get himself back to sleep. Babies fuss if they are hot or bored with one position or cold so try other things first.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• well has he pooped? i ff my younges and he got constipated around the 4 week mark and wouldnt eat for me- but it was only his body trying to adjust to the formula- my doc told me to give 2 ounces of water mixed with a teaspoon of sugar and i did and he pooped and felt better and he started eating for me again and i didnt have another issue with it but always ask ur doc before trying anything like that cause some docs caution against giving water that young but i guess a little sugar water is better than having them take all kinds of drugs or suppositories at a real young age- but thats only if he is constipated-
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009