flying on a plane with a 10yr old,6yr old and YIKES a 1 1/2yr old.I am nervous that he is going to cry and want to walk around the plane and wasn't there a mom that was booted off the plane because the baby was frieking out? Is there such a thing as a "Kid Friendly Airline?"

Hello Mommies,

I need advice on how to travel with children,especially a one and a half year old?

1- can I give benadryl to make him go sleepy?
2- How the heck do you make a 1 1/2 yr old stay calm on a airplane for 6hours?
3-What kind of snacks?
4- How do I stay calm in this potential madness?

goodvibes

Asked by goodvibes at 10:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Travel

• Sorry, I've never been in that situation, but I just wanted to say the Benadryl deal shouldn't be done. I know it sounds like a good idea, but my cousin did that and her little one had a bad reaction to it. It wasn't the first time the baby had some, but her little body just didn't need it.

Maybe crayons/paper? Pictures/books to point at and talk about? Puzzles?

Snacks: goldfish crackers, gummy fruit snacks. This will probably sound bad, but if your kids are anything like mine, they will fall asleep after a busy morning topped off with a big sugar rush. Yes, I know the crash and burn is not good for anyone, but it works. Every b-day party proves it.

Can you take an ipod on board with you? Download some relaxing music - I like the Hawiian type music, very soothing.

Good luck, and hope you have a great trip! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• apologize and make sure the people around you are aware that Youare aware that there may be some rough spots in the flight. They will be more understanding (maybe) if you make an acknowledgement ahead of time. portable DVD players are good too!

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I travel by myself with my three little ones who are now 4, 2, and 1. First off know they feed off of you nervousness and anxiousness. You have to prepare yourself to try to stay as calm as possible. For little ones I think that video players are a life saver. We usually fly for 9 hours so it does not stay charged for the whole time. We usually get on the plane get settled in. Do our first snacks and drinks then watch a movie. Then drinks come around sometime during that time and i get them set up with a drink. A carseat is a must for my little ones because they are strapped in and they know that they cannot get out just like in the car. That way if I have to make my way into the bathroom I can, it is very hard to try to use an airplane bathroom and hold a baby. Snack will be your firend cheerios, raisins anything that they enjoy. A special snack might be a good incentive to get them to behave.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:58 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Make sure that if there is something that you little one is particularly attached to like a pacifier or bottle or something to that effect that you have more than one. I cannot tell you how hard it is to try to pick something up off the ground. There is not enough space in between the seats to really get down to see anything.
    As far as you staying calm I think that it all about being prepared ahead of time and making it so that youa re not having to rush through check-in, something about rushing you from the beginning kind of sets you up for a hectic day. Try to minimize the less the better, especially when you are going through security. If you take a stroller you have to fold it down to go through along with any car seats. 9 out of 10 times they make you take the little ones shoes off I just leave them off until we get through and then we put them on. Well Good luck!!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:04 AM on Apr. 23, 2009