Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone in the med field? (or if you feel you can help)

my dh paints cars for a living. so he is using paint and thinner and clear (that makes the car shine after its painted) putty you name it on a dailey basis. the problem is his hands. his fingers are splitting and have cracks all around the nail his nails are brittle and splitting and breaking off and his hands hurt. he said like he has a thousand paper cuts. is there anything out there he can use to help with this situation. he cant wear anything on his hands at work cuz if it gets on the car it will ruin the paint job and he refuses to go to the doctor. but he is in pain dailey. any suggestions?


Asked by jodi205 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (4,145 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Aquaphor is the best, I had an ex that also painted cars and he was constantly putting aquaphor on. Also, I have no idea if this would work or not but maybe diaper rash ointment would help

    Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Have him use corn huskers lotion. it puts a silky coat over his skin to protect it and wont ruin his work. You can buy it at wal-mart for 2 bucks. The amish men and women use it in the fields and so do most farms to keep their hands from cracking and cutting.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • umm, unless he is willing to go to the doctor, he is going to have to deal with it, or find another job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • thank you brailynsmama. yea anon another jobs the answer cuz there are just so many of them out there.

    Answer by jodi205 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Not in the medical profession, but, my husband hands get like this from being out in the cold in the winter without gloves. We use the MaryKay Satin Hands stuff. Or the Night Time Emoilient cream. It's really thick. Have him put it on before bed. Should help. Oh and Aquaphor helps too. If he can't put it on at work, any chance he gets he should put some on. Good luck.

    Answer by mamaada at 10:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • What a MAN, it sounds like a chemical burn, and unless he wears gloves, it's gonna keep happening. Oh and he NEEDS to see a doc, there are topical creams taht can help. Make sure at night that he puts like a Neosporin ointment around the cracks, if you notice a red line going down his finger from one of the cracks and it's red and warm to the touch, knock his happy ass out and get him to a doc STAT!

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009


    Hey Jodi look here I use this on my sons eczema it works great I get it at walgreens or CVS for around $7.00 they offer a lot of products I hope he fells better soon


    Answer by tlc-mom at 10:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • thank you tlc. thanks everyone.

    Answer by jodi205 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • I agree that it sounds like a chemical burn. I have one too from dishwasher detergent. I have never gotten one this bad until I used "green" detergent LOL.
    Anyway, he will have to protect his hands better. Gloves ect.
    Cetaphil is good for hands. So is Eucerin. Bottom line is this: If he keeps exposing his hands they will continue to be this way. See a doctor they might have some pain relief cream for him as well as put him on some antibiotics. I hope the chemicals he uses are not toxic?
    I just reread this, you said he can't wear anything on his you mean he can't wear gloves? If he can't do his job and be safe he needs another job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • he wears gloves when he can but its hard to wear them all day in his line of work

    Answer by jodi205 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009