Should I wake him?

Should I wake my four week old during the day to eat or should I let him wake up on his own if he's hungry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never, NEVER, NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY. When they are hungry they will eat and if you wake him he will never learn to sleep all night. If he goes more than 6 hours then wake him but if not then leave him alone so he will learn to sleep all night. If you wake them then their internal clock will continue to tell them its time to eat and if he is hungry he will get up to eat.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Let him wake up on his own. He'll wake up when he's hungry.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Every doctor, nurse and lactation specialist told me to wake the baby to feed after 3 hours. During the day, yes, I think you should. But at night, I think you should let the baby sleep until they wake up hungry. I woke my son up during the day and he started sleeping through the night at 5 weeks so I highly disagree with the first response. Babies don't always know they need food. They know they are upset or feel bad but they don't know hunger just yet. So making sure they don't go too long without food is important.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree that to NEVER wake a sleeping baby lol. My daughter would go 4-6 hours between feedings. I didn't wake my children up to feed, but fed them as soon as they woke up
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think you should wake him every 3-4 hours DURING THE DAY ONLY to feed him...this is a sure fire way of getting them to sleep through the night. Good luck!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i would let the baby sleep- enjoy it while u still can lol- believe me the baby will wake on his own when hes hungry
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• never ever wake them... they grow when they sleep. If your baby is hungry or if there is anything wrong with him he will cry and let you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I always got yelled at while i was in the hospital for not feeding my son every four hours if he was sleeping. He is not going to perish in his sleep if I let him sleep. I thought when I went home I wouldn't have to deal with that but grandmother would wake him up just so that I could feed him. After the first few days, I started locking the bedroom so her nosy behind couldn't get in (my grandmother is a horrible evil woman- at least to me) I was either in their with him, or had the baby monitor on my hip in case he woke up.

Its a good way to get him to sleep through the night. Get him used to sleeping for as long as his little body will let him.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree with anonymous. My daughter is 11 weeks old and I have never woken her up to eat. She's definitely a growing girl.

If they're hungry enough they'll let you know
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 6:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• at night let him sleep he will let you know when hes hungry. Wake him if its more than 6 hrs but if not let him sleep, during the day I would only wake him if your trying to have him on a schedule if not le thim eat when hes hungry
    My3Kidos

Answer by My3Kidos at 7:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009