My three year old knows how to go potty. He had been doing sooo good during the day for about 2 months until about a week ago and we have not had a dry day since. Any suggestions?

We have tried giving him stickers on a potty chart, when he gets 5 stickers he gets 25 cents to put towards the purchase of a matchbox car (he LOVES cars). This worked up until last week, now he wants "yums" but we don't feel like we should reward him with candy. It didn't work when we tried. I am just sick and tired of this potty training thing! My almost 2 year old daughter has been doing better than he has.

ElyseAriel

Asked by ElyseAriel at 10:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You'll need to reward both kids the same. If the younger one gets treats, then either drop them or give them to him too. If both have sticker charts, fine. Or simply drop all incentives and tell him that this is what big kids do; that works for some.

For him, was he going on his own? Without any prompting or reminders from you? Then start reminding him... every 2 hours, simply state "It's time to try to go potty". Don't ask if he needs to go. Don't rely on him being willing to stop playing to go. Tell him it is time to go. Over the coming months (and years), he'll get better at going on his own. But it is very common for preschoolers to NOT think ahead, they live in the moment. And his "moment" is telling him that playing is more fun than leaving his toys to pee. Help him be a big kid - keep track for him and get him to try every 2 hours.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I've also heard to have older children (2.5 and older) be responsible for cleaning up the mess - dumping poop out of pants and into the potty, mopping up pee. Mom then comes along afterward with the cleaners of course but the child can do the initial clean up. This is not done as punishment but as a simple "you are old enough and responsible enough to clean up your own messes".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Is he in underwear? I think the only way it works is to put them in undies full time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you for your answers!
    kaycee14~I do the same incentive for both of them. They love their potty charts. I am sure you are right, he is just too caught up in playing he doesn't even think about going potty. I have been asking him "if" he needs to go potty, I will try just telling him to go. I haven't thought of having him dump his poop out of his "big boys" and into the potty
    MomPam~We haven't done the underwear idea yet. He has one last package of "big boys" and we are going to try the underwear method.
    Thanks again ladies!
    ElyseAriel

Answer by ElyseAriel at 9:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2009