Im 5 weeks postpartum and BF. How long before I get my weight off?

CAn you diet healthy and still lose weight while BF? None of my clothes fit and jeans I wore last week I can barely button now. Im putting some weight back on. Any other moms do this when they were nursing or tried to diet? If so which diet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had a c sec. and i have been dieting and walking every day sinse i had my son. who will be 8 months on the 30th of this month. and whom is still bfing as well. my first week i lost 10 pounds. then slowly another 12 came off. by the time my son was 5 months. i some how had gained it all back. i went from pre prego weight*165* to delivery weight was 221. left the hosp at 197pounds. i havnt changed my eating happits or gotten a period. hell the skin that i had from being stretched so much is tight and nice again. but the jeans i fit into at 6 weeks post. i cant get up my thighs no more. who knows what my deal is. it sux tho trying to diet to get weight off and its just not working. but on the bright side .. lol im not flabbby! hahah. and my sons a happy healthy big boy. currently i weigh 190. i wish the 9 was a 6.. or atleast a 7... then i could wear my clothes again.
    chris-s-wife

Answer by chris-s-wife at 6:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You can diet as long as your still eating enough calories for you and the baby. Its not what but how much you eat. Do more fruits and veggies and stay away from breads and pasta. You can also walk as exercise. You could be bloated as it takes time to get the extra water weight off. Your period may be on its way so your overly bloated due to all the extra water you have.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• No you shouldn't diet while BF, you can make healthier choices, also make sure you drink a TON of water. You can excersise, but as far as dieting, no. Just balanced meals and snacks
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Whether or not you are BFing or not. It can take some time to lose your weight. You just had your baby 5 weeks ago! I personally liked pilates to get back in shape. Make sure you are eating healthy and drinking plenty.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I would just eat healthy while you're nursing. Eat like a healthy pregnant woman, you are still kinda eating for two. Look, it took you 9 months for your body to get this way, it's gonna take 9+ months to get your body back. You are gonna srink some in the abdomen, but you need to ease back into this. I started when my DD was 6 weeks old. I did a little yoga to get back in the swing of things, went walking and then did 30 mins of cardio, like dancing. Don't set a time line, and don't go out an buy a new wardrobe, cuz it won't fit later. Just take baby steps when it comes to weightloss. I would always see those damn celebs and how they lost all thier weight so fast and get frustrated. Just remember not to deprive yourself of calories b/c breastfeeding does take a lot out of you and drink lots of water. Congrats on becoming a mommy. I didn't start to feel normal until after my DD turned 1 and I still feel different.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 11:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• While I was breastfeeding, I had the last 8lbs hang on until I was done. I read that most BF Mom's hang onto the last 8-10lbs because of the BF...just the body's way of keeping that extra nourishment around.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I gained 40 pounds while I was pregnant, I went from 114 to 154. By 6 weeks PP I was 122. Now at 4 months PP I am 111, so 3 pounds under my pre-preg weight. I wouldn't suggest dieting, just eat right and take a walk everyday!
    Mep291

Answer by Mep291 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I bf my daughter until she was 3 1/2 months old she is now 3 1/2 years old and I still have not lost my pregnancy weight and I have tried dieting. I would just make healthy decisions for her for now and worry about your weight later.
    My3Kidos

Answer by My3Kidos at 7:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009