Does the possibility of your kid(s) ever going into the military scare you?

My boys are still very young (8 and 4). My youngest has recently taken to acting like a soldier. If I want him to do something, say, clean his room, he requests that I give him and order "like a soldier, Mommy!". The conversation would go like this:

Me: "Soldier, proceed to your bedroom and clean it right away!"
Zack: (saluting) "Sir! Yes, sir!"
Me: (and he won't do anything until I say this) "Carry on, soldier."

It's actually proven to be quite useful of late! However, it got me to thinking about the possibility of either of my boys going into the armed services. My husband was in the Navy for 6 years (before we met), and I'm very proud of him for serving his country. As a Mother, it scares the daylights out me to think of either or both of my sons joining the military. Of course, I would be proud. I know that freedom is NOT free. Regardless, it scares me deeply.

I'd like to know I'm not alone in feeling like this...

Moonrush

Asked by Moonrush at 10:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• It can be a scary thing but right now its his imagination. Play it out if its working for him and worry about it when the time comes. If you raise them knowing the dangers of the military and things then they may not join. Teach them early on what could happen if they were a real soldier and if they do join then hold your head high and worry when its time to worry but enjoy them now as they are innocent and enjoying life.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• See my 15 year old would love to, more than anything, join the Air Force, but he can't due to his low vision. Of course as a MOMMY i wouldnt' want either of my children to do anything that could put them in harms way lol. But life doesn't work that way lol, we can't keep them in a bubble
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is only a baby still, so I haven't really thought about this. If he came to me once he was nearing the end of his graduation from high school and said he wanted to join the military, I would tell him lets go talk to a recruiter. I served, my husband is still serving. My brother and sister serve. My father and grandfather served. It may be in my blood, but to me I think that every single person who is medically capable should serve at least one term in the military right after high school. It forces a person to grow up, and then afterwards when they go to college they wont be concentrating on partying they will be concentrating on school. It would also teach many people to have respect and discipline, which our country is greatly lacking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• What if your child wanted to be a cop, a fireman, a roofer, a logger, or a king crab fisherman? Every job has its dangers. Parents should be supportive of whatever career our kids choose. And yes my son is in the military.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 10:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I grew up loving the military. But, I will not allow my kids to join. Simply because they are selling themselves to the government. They must obey without question thier orders. I don't think that is such a good idea.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• way to go rotPferd! Thank you for your son's service and the value you place upon it.

Yes, it would scare me. But, I'm a Mom so everything scares me. I just have to stand back and allow them to become men.

Heck, you can die in a car wreck on your say to the store! We will all face death. What is important is how we choose to live.

My boys are 10 and 7. My hubby is military. If my children choose to serve their country I will be honored. They come from a long line of those who serve, dating all the way back to the Revolutionary War. Perhaps patriotism is in the blood.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Considering current events, the idea of my son joining the military is a little scary. But my dad, several uncles, my sister, my father in law, my husband, and several of my husband's relatives I havent' met either are currently or were at one time in the military. For me its a way of life. I grew up army, l married army. Had I not met my husband when I probably would have enlisted myself.

My son is three, but if you ask him he wants to be three things: soldier, pizza guy, and fireman. Every afternoon when the bugle plays, he demands we stand outside and salute. He is very proud of his dad, his poppy (my dad), and his auntie (my sister). It really is inspiring to see much he admires them.

Not long ago I was talking to my brother in law. He's 14 and considering joining the Marines. He was telling me about how some kids in one of his classes was making fun of him for wanting to enlist, and was very proud when his (cont)
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• cont.

When his teacher supported him, and told the other kids to either positively support him or shut their mouths.

The very worst thing that could happens is he deploys and dies defending his country. How could you not hold your head up and be proud? He could die doing just about any civilian job. He could slip in the shower, hit his head and die. He could be in a fatal car accident. He could be killed while on a midnight run to the kwik mart for munchies. Yes his death would be tragic and of course horribly sad, he died selflessly, couragously defending the rights of people who think he should die simply because of the profession he choose.

He still has a long time until that day, so for now don't worry too much. Let him be a boy. Take advantage of the easy you have in getting him to do chores!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'd like to clarify something here. I get the feeling that some of you may have taken what I asked to mean that I would not support the possible choice of either of my boys joining the military. On the contrary, I would be proud beyond words. I also realize that risk is everywhere. The very act of being alive entails the risk of injury and death. I get that. I will support whatever productive, honorable things my children decide to do with their lives - be it the military, police work, or being a drag queen in Vegas! None of that changes the fact that I cannot shake the nagging fear that I won't always be able to keep them safe and healthy. It's a part of Motherhood that I have not gotten used to, despite being a Mom for 8 years, now. A quote comes to mind: “Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” ~Elizabeth Stone

Moonrush

Answer by Moonrush at 11:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My 21yr old son has dreamed of being in the Marines since he was 5! He is now in Marines bootcamp. I am so proud of him! But am scared to death!!! Lots of different emotions going on here.
    BAADsMOM

Answer by BAADsMOM at 11:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2009