Adnoids and tubes?

I wasn't too concerned about my dd getting tubes, but they want to take her adnoids out too. Anyone else been through this? The tubes she'll be OK the next day but the info I have says the adnoids may take a week to recover? Does it take that long?

ferdo0204

Asked by ferdo0204 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Nah, little ones are soo resiliant, she will bounce back very quickly. She might be a little cranky for a day or two, but after that, she should be fine.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Our son's recovery was a good 7 days . The tubes were a piece of cake the first time. The second time around, they replaced his tubes and removed his adenoids. That recovery was pretty rough. He was great the day after, but he then took a major nose dive, which the ENT told us is fairly normal. I would not want to relive those days, but the surgery was in November, and our little guy's ears are much better!
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I deleted my answer because my hubby reminded me of our experience. I was thinking of the wrong surgery. He's had 3 sets of ear tubes. The one where they removed his adenoids was a little rougher. He was almost 2 years old. He felt okay at first just sleepy and cranky. But then later he spiked a temp of 102.2 and got a bit dehydrated. It took until the next evening to get him taken care of 'cuz the surgeon kept saying to watch him longer. But we are not sure if the fever was from the surgery or upcoming pneumonia that they found a week later. But I still think he did better after adenoid removal. His ear infections have been a lot less frequent but still about the same amount of sinus infections.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 11:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I had my adnoids out when I had my tonsils out and tubes in my ears.. the only complication I had was from the tonsil removery.. I also ended up having the tubes being re-done like 6 times and now I have permanent hearing loss due to scar tissue.. Mind you, this was 21 years ago, so I am sure the procedures have changed alot!

Its a fairly common thing, she should be ok :) Kids bounce back fast
    dueinfeb2008

Answer by dueinfeb2008 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009