my 5 month old has her first diaper rash.. what do I do??

this is my daughters first diaper rash.. she's in a lot of pain. I'm currently applying desitin to help out. I think it has to do with the fact that she started eating solids and is now doing #2 more often. I never leave her diaper unattended. So the only thing I can imagine is that. Please tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Thanks!!!

yane6207

Asked by yane6207 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't give acidic foods (orange juice, etc.) b/c that will burn more. Try wiping with a soft wet paper towel or cloth if the baby wipes seem to make it worse. Change diaper frequently. Air out the bottom as much as you can too.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Use some desitin. Use a little baby powder. And when you bath, let her little hiney soak for a while. Diaper rashes can also be cause by teething, so that may also be the reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• well keep puttin the cream on and take her to the doctor to see wut it could possible be from.to avoid rashes everytime u change er diaper put on a cream to prevent it.my sister uses this type of patroleum jelly its the vaseline brand but her kids never got rashes.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 10:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• thanks guys...
    yane6207

Answer by yane6207 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i ALWAY used butt balm it in walmart eaither in diaper section or in the section of the store were u can get q tips. butt balm works wonders! swear by it. and when i have a baby shower to go to thats included with my gift.. ohh sorry its called butt past..... boudreaux's butt paste.in a tube thats yellow off white picture of a happy baby with a blue blanket on him.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well there is a whole list of things you can do...
    Try different diaper creams
    Vaseline to keep moisture from sitting on her bottom
    Let her 'air out' by being naked for an hour or so at a time (Lay down a large quilt or something so if she goes potty it eill be easy to throw in the wash
    corn startch will help (DO NOT USE BABY POWDER... It can cause yeast infections)
    And you can try using a different brand of diapers

GL Hope you get it cleared up soon.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Keep area as dry as possible by changing her frequently. Don't use wipes. Use a wet washcloth. Desitn should help or A&D ointment. If it doesn't she may need a prescription from her doctor for Nystatin, because some diaper rashes could be yeast and OTC creams won't help. If it's bright red and almost like blistering call her doctor.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• o yea they have sensitive baby wipes 2 now
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• also bath will sooth her. no soap just a nice soak and air dry.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Have you tried a different type of diaper? If so, that may be it. I know my babies broke out almost to the point of blistering when we tried the White Cloud brand. We had to switch back to Pampers! Even if you haven't changed, maybe you could try changing to a different diaper?
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009