Full-time working moms, how many books do you read to your child on a daily basis?

This is something that's been bothering me for a while. I work full time and get home around 5pm. My Son goes to bed around 8:30. Between cooking and taking care of other things (plus just being tired from being the end of the day) I don't usually read to him until I put him to bed, and sometimes he falls asleep before bed time, so he doesn't even get that! So on weekdays, he gets one book read and on weekends usually about three a day. Is this enough? He does go to daycare where his teacher reads stories throughout the day, but it's to the whole class, not one on one, so I don't know if it can really compare. I just feel so guilty and wonder if other working moms are doing better than me or if this is typical. I also wonder if the whole class reading that his teacher is doing is as beneficial as the reading I do, where I go into more detail and answer his individaul questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Although I am looking for work right now, I usually work full time. My kids are in school, so we get home (when I work) around 5:30-6pm. Between getting homework done, dinner made and eaten, baths taken, dog fed, etc., we're lucky to sit down and take a breath before 8pm. They go to bed at 9 just to give me a little extra time with them. So, I totally get where you are coming from. I usually read them a bedtime story, sometimes two depending on how long the story is, how awake they still are, and if they ask. I think you just have to do what you can. I might have a job in the next week or two, and I feel guilty just for going back to work, like I will be making my kids suffer, even though I need to work, to pay the bills. It's just how you feel, and I'm sure sahm's have the same guilt, just not in the same way. Whatever you do with him is better than ignoring him, so don't feel too guilty. We all do what we have to. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• 2-4
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• sorry i never read to my boys.. im a full time working mama 7:00-5 everyday..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It sounds like you are reading a lot! More than I can fit in! My daughter is now 6 and reading, and she loves to read to my 3 year old. I'm always grateful for that because it's very hard to squeeze it in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I read maybe one book a night, when my 3yo asks me to. I don't feel bad or feel like a bad mom. I know she has a love of reading and one day she will read by herself. I don't feel a need to be "supermom" and do all things. If we do, we don, if we don't, my baby is not suffering for it.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 4:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009