Any ideas on weaning an almost 3 year old?

My daughter will be 3 in july and I am getting unconfortable breastfeeding, I cant do anything alone, she still sleeps with us, so even at night if she wakes up she asks to feed. She eats very well during the day and she likes almost everything, but she still wants breast during the day, not as often, but to fall asleep.. any idea on how can I wean her? I was thinking of making my breast taste funny, but I dont want to freak her out either.. please help!!!

yvonne37

Asked by yvonne37 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could rub something on your nipple that wouldn't taste very good or make it strange. Try lemon juice, it should make it sour enough that she will be surprised and hopefully turned off by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• start talking to her about how shes too big for it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• OK, this worked wonders for me. TELL HER SHE DRANK IT ALL! My daughter totally bought it. I started a week early, & said "wow Tulsi! You have finished almost all of it, it's almost gone!" I made a big deal about it, told her how proud i was that she was able to drink it all, then one day I told her it was ALL GONE. NONE LEFT, she drank it all up! Then i told her that we have other kinds of milk to drink if she is thirsty. She was a lil bummed that my milk was all gone, but it made sense to her & she moves on pretty quickly. This worked like a charm for me & my daughter had just turned 2 before i stopped. It might work for you, it's worth a shot anyways. GOOD LUCK!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I also found that when my milk "was all gone" she started sleeping throught the night. She got out of the habit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• the only thing I can think about is diversion. When she wants to nurse try to redirect her to something else. I think cuddling her at that point wouldn't work the greatest because it will make it harder for you to keep her off the breast. Keep gently pushing her away from you when she is trying to nurse. This will be tough on both of you guys for a little while, but it will get better and she will soon forget about her desire to nurse. Good Luck to you!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• "was all gone"

I like that..... it sounds like a good thing to say... its simple and easy to understand.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think thats a cute thing too.Let her think she drank it all gone and now there just isnt anymore.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 11:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Thank you ladies.. I just tried the "all gone" one and she looked at me in disbelieve and said, "but mom, you can make more"... smart a^% I told her no, she is about to finish it all.. sounds like a great idea and I will keep saying that . Also I do divert her during the days.. she asks for it and I just keep telling her no or tell her to give me a min. until Im done with a chore.. then I offer her something else.. it works until she needs to take her nap.. then she wont go to sleep without her human pacifier..lol.. I laugh but its annoying. My breast are almost part of my lower abdomen and they hurt!.. plus I cant go anywhere without her.. she starts crying.. boy have I created a monster..lol
    yvonne37

Answer by yvonne37 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• When my cousin night weaned her children she told them that the "nursie have gone night night" and that they were sleeping. :) We haven't tried night weaning our 15 month old yet, so we'll see how it works for us in a few months.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I like Philsbabymama's idea of telling her they are sleeping. Basically, just start to refuse it or redirect her. If you distract her she'll probably nurse less and less. Set limits, she's older now and can understand when and where. Slowly drop a feeding per week, saving the most precious feeding as last to be dropped.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009