2 old's fear is waking him at night

Our son is suddenly terribly afraid of buffaloes (of all things!) He no longer puts himself to sleep because he yells, "Mama, Dada, scared of buffaloes!" We have talked to him and searched his room with him at night to show him there are no buffaloes there....when we asked where buffaloes live, he even replies, "at the zoo." Yet, every night, he wakes up screaming in the wee hours of morning because he is scared of buffaloes. What can we do to help him get over this fear? Bless his heart!

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 11:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG, i'mj sorry, but that is sooo funny. What a creative little man you have!!! 2 is a classic age for that, my son had all sorts of monsters in his room. We gave him a squirt bottle with "monster-away" (water) in it, and he would squirt it at the "monsters". One night I went up into his room and SCREAMED at the monsters to leave my baby alone, I pounded on the bed, stomped on the floor lol, it worked. But when I came downstairs my neighbor came over to see if everything was OK lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• First I would get him a night light and tell him that it will protect him from what he fears. Maybe you could take him to a toy store that sells toy buffalos to show him that they won't harm him and it may ease his fear of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Have him help you make a sign to put on his door that says, "no Buffaloes allowed in here, this is [your son's name]'s room" or something like that. It worked with my friend's son who was scared of monsters.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'd go with the "buffalo away" spray. Leave it in the room with him if needed and he can spray it himself should he wake up. When one of my nephews was afraid of monsters, my SIL told him monsters didn't like messy houses (she isn't exactly a neatnik) and that solved the problem. You might try telling your son buffaloes don't like . If his room is yellow, tell him buffaloes don't like yellow rooms..

I had to chuckle at his creativity!
    Anonymous