Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Termination of parental rights

I have a child whose father has never seen her past the day he signed the paternity paperwork. He's never paid child support or initiated contact, and my other half wants to legally adopt her. Based on my state's law, we have cause for abandonment, but I can't find any way to self file through the court system.

Have you terminated the parental rights of your child's father? Did you use a lawyer, a legal aid society, or did you do it yourself? How long did it take, and was your petition granted?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I would start by calling the court clerks and asking how to file. There is probably a way to do it yourself. If not, there are a lot of family lawyers that provide a free consulatation, shop around for one.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • Go to the Family Court office at your local court house, they will have the papers you need to fill out to file.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • I like the advice of going in person to the clerk or courts office in your county of where you live. The clerk of court could sit down with you and explain what may need to happen for you to file a petition and there probably will be a way you can represent yourself and your child if no one is there to contest. Sometimes you can call your state bar association and they can give you free, but quick, legal advice. Ususally with the advice of hiring a lawyer....but take what you can from the conversation and go from there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • You can submit a motion to terminate parental rights. Give your ex's last known address, place public notice in clasified ad. for 60 days, in most states. Then once that has been done, you file another motion for adoption. Many states have Self Help Departments that have all of the packets and info that you will need. They can not give legal advice, but they can give you information.

    Answer by Vanessannd at 12:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

  • You can't do anything regarding a parent's rights without an attorney. Personally I think you should file child support. make the man pay up then tell him to sign over his rights to a real man who wants to be a father. If you file for child support then the state will track him down and make contact for you. They will be your attorney. If he chooses to give up his rights then they can start that procedure but for goodness sakes do it right. If you don't want to do that then hire an attorney.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.