what to do- i posted this yesterday but i need more feed back

my 5 yr old keeps telling people to smell his butt- he thinks its funny but i really dont know how to get him to stop- ive warned him threatened him and even popped him once- nothings working- he picked it up one day when my sister was babysitting my cousin (who is 6 yrs old) and they came over ( i had to keep my eye on her because everytime i left the room i would come back and find her either on top of one of my boys or straddling their heads) needless to say she will not be coming around my boys anytime soon, i mean cmon theyre 5 and 3 they dont need to be introduced to this stuff- its the exact reason i homeschool- anyways the question is- do any of u have any suggestions on how to get him to stop? he goes as far as to putting his butt into his brothers face and saying it and he even does it in public which is really embarassing- ugh im lost- wut to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him do it. It's a phase... he's trying to get attention.

Ignore him when he does it & let the negative attention from strangers take it's toll after a while --- he'll get bored with it & move on to something else --- mostly likely even more disturbing.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• take EVERYTHING away. play time. toys. TV/video games. radio. cds. dvds. EVERYTHING. he can only be allowed to sit down quietly at the table and read a book. nothing else. until he stops saying it. make sure you tell him not to say it. dont yell it. just talk it. tell him in a serious voice, but not like a trouble voice. just like you would have a serious convo with an adult. then sit him down at the table and give him one book. if he cries and screams and throws fits, fine. let him. dont say anything. until he says hes sorry and he wont do it again (make him promise). then let him up. if he says it again. same thing. keep YOU in control. STAY CONSISTENT. do NOT give in. TO ANYTHING. =] hope this helps =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Every time he says smell his lil but, I would spank his lil butt, then I would take away the fun thing he like to do for a while intil he stops saying smell his butt, that's what I would do. Most 5 year olds understands right from wrong but do it anyway for attention.
    Anonymous

• Bash away if youu want but some things are just asking for a get their attention butt whooping. if he were mine he would be told/warned one final time. He would also be told the conseuences should he chould to do it again. The next time he did it I would light his butt up. He will put it together real soon if you are serous and follow through.
    Anonymous

• I know this sounds strange but if my son did that, I'd make him wear pink pants with flowers on it and then tell him, "If you think you're butt is something that needs to get attention, then you can have your wish. Everyone will know your butt smells like flowers!"

I used to do the most bizzare things with my son - mostly he would be self incriminating, making his own punishments. In situations like this, you need to think outside the box. Good luck!
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 12:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• You said that you have warned threatened and popped him. I suggest that mabey start taking things away that he\ really enjoys for a wk at a time. My daughter had a bad mouth and I did just this and now she watches what she says it took some time but it did work. But you have to find the most enjoyed items and tell him to bring them to you and make sure that you keep them for said time. Don't give in.
    And if that doesn't work then just walk off and ignore him and have the other do the same he is just calling for attention to himself and once he realizes that no one is paying attention to negitive ways then he will stop. Try to show him more positve ways to get attention and then when he does some postive in good behavior reward him or give him praise.

Hubbard1234

Answer by Hubbard1234 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• hmmm... its a boy thing... all of mine have done that at some point or another, discourage it but rest assure it will pass...
    Anonymous

• You don't say how long this has been going on, but I agree with the first poster, it is attention getting and everytime you react he gets attention. Ignore it, and while your ignoring this annoying but harmless behavior, work at finding things that he does right and praise him for those behaviors.

Also if you homeschool he may just be missing having other kids around. I say may because I don't know your particular situation.  I'm not antihomeschool, but I have seen some kids who's parents isolate their kids in the name of protecting them. Then I've seen others that are in co-ops and the kids have safe wonderful socialization.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son said that exact thing (and then my youngest daughter learned it from him) and it's a phase. They do it for shock value... busting his ass isn't going to fix it... ignore it, pretend he didnt say it unless he's putting his butt in someone's face, bust his ass for that, it's just ... what's the word.. rude, unsanitary? LOL... Don't worry though, he'll stop. Mine did.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have 5 year old twin boys who go around telling EVERYONE ( even ppl they see at walmart ) that they can HOLD their farts ... HAHA They push their butt checks together and that is how they "HOLD Their FARTS" Kids will do and say the darnest things ! must be just the age!
    amommyoffour

Answer by amommyoffour at 8:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2009