How can i get my daughter to eat from a bottle while she's awake

For a while now we have not been able to get my daughter to eat from her bottle unless she is asleep. She will eat baby food and everything else while awake but fights whenever we try to give her a bottle and she's awake. My husband started feeding her when she was asleep cuz he was afraid she wasn't eating enough and that was the only way to get her to eat the amounts he wanted her to eat. I have been trying to convince him that it's a bad habit and that we need to break it but he won't listen. Noone but us can feed her so we can't leave her with anyone else or go a whole lot of places. She doesn't sleep when other people are around so we can't feed her if we go out. Earlier this week i told my husband that i was going to put a stop to it by not feeding her when she fell asleep, i said that eventually she would get hungry and except the bottle. We've been fighting since. Can anyone tell me is there's another way?

clambert1984

Asked by clambert1984 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you talked to your pediatrician? How long has this been going on? I wouldn't be too keen on feeding them while they are asleep... That's force feeding. I think that some men don't get that you shouldn't force feed. Just because you want them to eat, doesn't mean that they want to! My husband gets frustrated when he warms a bottle and they don't want to eat after they acted hungry. I get frustrated at him at his frustration with them... Good luck though! I would definitely talk to your pediatrician though. If your baby is old enough have you tried a sippy cup?
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I'm confused. Does she eat litteraly while she is asleep or falling asleep?If it is while she is asleep stop! It could be harmful and its not good for formula to be resting in her mouth. It it is while she is falling asleep try undressing her, make her a bit uncomfy so she will stay awake. If that doesnt work than she just isnt hungry. She wont starve herself, but you may have some trouble because her feeding the way it is already!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's while she's fully asleep and it has been going on for a while. You're right about my husband not understanding that it's force feeding and he insists that it's good for her. She's only six months old and can't hold a sippy cup yet but i did try it yesterday just to see. Apparently, she thinks it's something to chew on. She does like drinking out of a cup without a lid but i really don't want to do that cuz she always seems to get to much in her mouth at once but it was the only way i could get her to eat yesterday. Whenever she gets hungry, she sucks on her thumbs and we try to give her the bottle but she cries whenever we move her thumb out of her mouth for the nipple. I gave her some yesterday out of a cup and she liked that much better probably cuz nothing was in her mouth but i can't do that all the time. We have considered teething but even when i give her teething medicine she refuses to take a bottle.
    clambert1984

Answer by clambert1984 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• As for not starving herself, the last time i tried to stop this she didn't eat for the entire day until my husband got home and fed her when she fell asleep. He works from 8 am til nearly seven in the evening so that is a long time to go without a bottle and she was only about 4 and a half months at the time. My husband gets frustrated when he makes a bottle and she doesn't eat, too and thinks that this way is easier on all of us but whenever i suggest trying something else he comes in and starts doing it all over again. it's maddening
    clambert1984

Answer by clambert1984 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009