What was "the apple?"

I have two personal theories. One, it was some kind of now-forgotten drug. Everybody knows drugs cause "enlightenment!" Nothing to back that up though, just a fun thought I had. Two, it was sex. Read John 8:44 for why I think this {You belong to your father the devil, and you want to carry out the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and has never stood for truth, since there is no truth in him. Whenever he tells a lie he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies.}

Only problem is...if one is comprised of such genes, would they be savable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I heard it wasnt an apple but a pomegranate(sp?).

Frankly, no matter what it was the thing that was always emphasized to me was the symbol of temptation it was.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I thought it was from the "tree of knowledge".....so isn't it knowledge? I always saw it as a metaphor when I was a kid.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Drugs cause enlightenment? You are confused if you believe that. God and Jesus are the only source for enlightenment.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, it wasn't anything that is here now. There is only one tree that was forbidden in the Garden of Eden. We have been shut out of the Garden, never able to go there. So all the fruit that we have growing here could not be the same as the forbidden fruit.

I don't believe it is a drug but it could be a type of plant that has characteristics of a drug, hmm. And God wanted them to enjoy sex. I just take it literally, that it was a good looking fruit and when they chose to be disobedient to God there eyes were opened to evil. They already had knowlegde of good.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think the apple was adam's penis. That's what i think it was.
    Anonymous

• And no I'm not tryin to be funny. I'm dead serious.
    Anonymous

• Think about it. She took a bite out of the "forbidden" fruit. Aren't some religions against "oral"? So maybe that's what it was. I mean they didn't say what the fruit was so maybe it's metaphore for "oral".
    Anonymous

• LOL, y'all crack me up. Eve taking a bite out of Adam's penis? Ouchie . . .

For the record, scholars believe the "apple" was actually a fig, because those were prevalent in the Middle East.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Then why did Adam eat it, too. It was NOT his penis unless he was really flexible and into pain. The "apple" was an orange.
    Anonymous

• This whole story is a rip-off of the story of Pandora in Greek mythology, possibly with some of the story of Persephone mixed in... which might be why a PP said they heard in was a pomegranate, because that's what Persephone ate while in Hades.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2009