HELP!!! I'm in SAHM hell!!! How long can babies teethe for before a tooth comes in?

My daughter (5 months) has been fussy for what seems like a couple months now. Just recently she has started not wanting to nurse. She keeps pulling off and crying. Also, when I do get her to nurse, she whines, whimpers and rubs the crap out of the side of her face like she's in pain. Thought it might be an ear infection but I took her to the ped. and they said it's not. I see absolutely nothing in her mouth. She is so fussy all day long. I'm going insane! I've given her teething tablets and Motrin and teething rings and nothing seems to help. Is this teething or something else?

il_c_23

Asked by il_c_23 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A long time... My baby would teethe for 6 - 8 weeks with each tooth... then they would break through the gum and stop... Heal over and have to break through again... It was just terrible!

Go out and buy one of those ice trays that makes the long tube like ice cubes for water bottles... I used to use the tubes for teathers... you can flavor them w/ juice if you want. But I just would wrap them in a clean rag or towel and let them gnaw away... Really helped!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Maybe gas? Are you eating things that may upset her tummy? Are you getting enough milk in? My baby lost tons of weight before I realized I wasnt getting enough milk in. I felt like such a horrible mother after that. Check to see how much milk is coming out. If you have to squeeze for a long time to get a little bit out, then your baby is starving slowly. Use a breast pump and there are a hundred other things to do to get your milk flowing better...NEVER EAT GARLIC WHILE YOU ARE BREASTFEEDING...IT WILL DRY YOUR MILK UP! It happened to me. Supplement with formula if you have to.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 12:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my pediatrician told me that teething can happen from 4 months all the way to 15 months so maybe she is teething my son started the fussy all the time at 4 months but no teeth until he was i think it was 8 months.
    nkezele86

Answer by nkezele86 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• well my daughter started teething when she was 5 months old she got her two bottom teeth by time she was 6 months old but its till happening i suggest you get motrin with ibprophine and baby oragel and let her chew on hard things they'll come in easier
    britt3063

Answer by britt3063 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Babies teethe for a long time, so that might be it. If it is your doing all the right things. Keep giving her stuff to chew on and motrin. Eventually they'll pop through, but it'll feel like forever until they do. I always fed my baby popsicles to help numb her mouth and she just loved them. Some people told me to let her chew on a cold, wet, washcloth, but I was afraid to do that. Just watch her temp because a friend of mine had a baby that spiked a temp while teething and she had to go to the doctor to get it back down.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 2:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son got his first tooth at 3 months. It came in very fast. He has 4 new teeth coming in right now. They have been coming in for almost 3 months now. It can get frustrating but they are in pain after all.
    lexymelt87

Answer by lexymelt87 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son has been teething since 6mns. He's now 8mns, and still w/out any teeth. I honestly don't know what to tell you because I'm in the same boat. The only thing that I've found for him that he likes is to bite my finger. I guess that helps his gums a little. I haven't had any problems w/ him eating. He does like to chew on the nipple of his bottle after he finishes it.
    gabr

Answer by gabr at 9:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2009