my 5 week old son sleeps all day long everyday. Is there something wrong with him?

I have a few other friends who just had kids or have young kids and all of them have said their child was always alert. Im afraid something is wrong with my little one. The longest he has been awake in a day is one hour.

photo_mom27

Asked by photo_mom27 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds normal to me. Emi was a very sleepy baby until about 9-12 weeks. I forget exactly when. And if she wasn't asleep, she was screaming.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• His schedule may be messed up, he may think it's nighttime when it's really daytime. He'll probably correct his biological clock eventually =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Your baby is going to sleep a lot for the first few months. At 5 weeks, sleeping all day is perfectly normal (better than screaming!). He'll progressively be more awake as he gets older. In the meantime, enjoy the rest mama!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• yeah he could still have his days and nights confused. thats pretty normal. owyn slept soo much at first too. i know youre probably really wanting to play with him after waiting so long for him! but appreciate the extra rest while youve got it lol!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• thats alright. my son was like that till about seven weeks. now hes almost three and doing just fine!! if your SUPER concerned about it, talk to your pedi next week at the 6 week checkup!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My second daughter slept all the time, and she's a very alert, awake and lively 7 month old. So it doesn't mean anything at all... let her sleep and enjoy the quiet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• its normal. :] enjoy the quiet. hehe.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My son is 5 1/2 weeks and the same way. Glad to hear somene else is feeling the same way!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Andie was the same way and she turned out fine... some babies just need more sleep than others... theres nothing wrong with that. If you are that concerned about it bring it to the baby's doctor's attention. I am sure everything is fine... but to hear that from him may give you a peace of mind.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 2:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Babies need something like 19 hours of sleep a day so I wouldn't worry. Enjoy the peace and quiet now because he will wake up soon enough and then you will be wishing he was sleeping.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2009