Is it wrong to name your son the same name as your son that passed away?

My husband desperately wants a child named after him. I tried suggestions of adding a name or changing it a little, but he won't hear of it. We had a son that passed away about five months ago named Jesse Richard Jr. Is it wrong to name another son of ours Jesse Richard III in honor of baby Jesse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that you should do what you feel is right. You are NOT nameing him the same by calling him the 3rd. We have a 4th in my family. They all just go by diffrent parts of there names. All of there first name is James one goes by jim one goes by butch(dont know why) the other by james. I do understand where you and your hubby are both coming from. I dont think it would bother your son as much as others think. He just might be honored to have it. I was suppose to be a boy and my great grand father died the month before I was born. I was suppose to be named william wayne after him and growning up was always called PW (possible william) because of it. If you want to talk more you can message me.
    firemom5906

Answer by firemom5906 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• if you do I foresee lots of counseling in your second son's future.
    Anonymous

• i think thats weird.. personally
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Personally I wouldn't be able to do it. I don't think it's wrong. But I just wouldn't be comfortable with it. It's ultimately up to you though =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• It's up to you, but personally, it would remind me so much of the first child that I"m not sure I could handle it.
    Anonymous

• It would break my heart to have to call my second son the name I gave to my precious baby that passed away...everytime I spoke his name, I would be reminded of the agony I had to endure.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 12:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with everyone else, I couldn't do it. It would be the same as if the other one was still alive, would you give two children the same name? I don't know, I couldn't, but do what you feel is best and right.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I personally think that it is weird and will cause problems in you and your child's future. People will make comments and then when you tell you son about his brother.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think it would be very wierd. Weird for the child. Wierd for the family that knew the first child. And it SHOULD be wierd for your DH too... "I have 2 sons... my first son passed away his name was Jesse Richard... and I have another son, his name is Jesse Richard too" Sorry... that is just odd.
    I would give your new baby his own first name and use Jesse Richard as his middle names.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't think it's weird. I think it is sick and disrespectful. I lost a son almost 24 years ago and I could NEVER name another child his name. It is setting up a lifetime of misery for the 2nd son. He will likely believe as he grows that he was 'just a replacement'.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2009