• In the Spotlight:

When interviewing for a job, do I tell them I'm pregnant...or not?

The mother in law says I shouldn't....but wouldn't I have to bring it up when I'm asking for days off for my doc appointments?

Waiting4Oct.10

Asked by Waiting4Oct.10 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• You don't have to tell them at the interview, and they are not allowed to ask. They CAN ask however if you are able to stand for long periods of time or if you can carry stuff that's 50 lbs, if that's required of the job.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• i wouldn't say anything until you were 100% sure you had the job
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Nope-don't bring it up. I went to an alcloche (hiring agency) and DON'T tell them anything about your personal life up front. Don't talk about kids, nothing.

When they ask, tell me about yourself-describe what kind of person you are, type of worker, that kind of stuff. People might see just "mom" and think scheduling issues, etc.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• ...and if you want to KEEP your job....schedule your doctor's appointments AFTER HOURS, or work out being able to come in a little later, or leaving a little earlier than scheduled. Taking a "personal or sick day" with EVERY appointment, is going to result in being unemployed rather quickly--especially in THIS economy!

I was 5 1/2 months pregnant when I was laid off right after 9/11 occurred. I wasn't fired...and I was the Executive Assistant to the CEO of the company. It came down to money, and I was laid off along with 27 other high level income directors and managers, in lieu of an hourly assistant who earned considerably less money, and was NOT married or pregnant, and had no plans for children in the near future.

ALL employment is "at will." You can be fired for ANY reason, or NO reason at all! Employers have MANY legal loopholes they can use to get rid of anyone they so choose.
    Anonymous

• Thanks to those who have written so far. I was expecting to see a lot more controversy..lol(I'm so naive aren't I?...I know, but I'm young and optimistic) but this still helps a lot. I was just making sure it wasn't just the mother in law who thought I should keep quiet. Thank you for your help :)
    Waiting4Oct.10

Answer by Waiting4Oct.10 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think it depends on the type of job you are looking for. If it is job where you are going to have a hard time keeping up with other workers, then yes. Like if you have to stand all day or do any real labor. If it is a desk job then no don't tell.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2009